Les Plages d'Agnès (The Beaches of Agnes)
Produced and directed by French Left Bank giant Agnès Varda as a summation of her long and enduring career, Agnès' Beaches constitutes a free-floating essay film. It is comprised of various elements that collectively pay homage to Varda's past -- including clips from the director's features, dramatically reconstructed moments from Varda's life, and elaborate, almost baroque monuments created onscreen to symbolize specific ideas and concepts -- such as an opening scene with a number of individuals setting up mirrors of various shapes and sizes on a great beach, and an enclosure… More

"As evidenced in The Beaches of Agnès, Varda is too venerable to be hip -- and too wholly alive to be venerated."
‑ Joe Williams, St. Louis Post-Dispatch
"A puckish, moving and wonderfully eccentric tour through her life."
‑ Dave Calhoun, Time Out
"Inventive look at Varda's life, films, photos and art."
‑ Michael E. Grost, Classic Film and Television
"...[Varda proceeds] diagonally and discursively through her life and work while intermingling clips from her films, archival footage, and tongue-in-cheek reenactments..."
‑ Sarah Boslaugh, Playback:stl
"A deftly assembled, wry and touching self-portrait of Agnès Varda as both a filmmaker and an endearing, indomitable spirit."
‑ Jon Fortgang, Film4
"The Beaches of Agnes is a work of delightful contradictions from a filmmaker who has always played by her own rules."
‑ Chris Vognar, Dallas Morning News
"Varda recalls her childhood, her adulthood, her politics, and how both her films and her two children were born. She doesn't just show us, she takes us inside of it all, inside of her. It's a reverie."
‑ Wesley Morris, Boston Globe
"We should all be so lucky to have the chance to make movies about our own lives when we're much older; and as one of the lucky ones, Varda wastes no opportunity to provide a fun, humble, and shining entry."
‑ Jeffrey Chen, ReelTalk Movie Reviews
"You might not be able to write a book report on Varda after seeing her movie, but you do feel like you've spent a long, leisurely afternoon with her."
‑ Rob Thomas, Capital Times (Madison, WI)
"A witty and engaging cine-autobiography."
‑ Peter Bradshaw, Guardian
"Filmmakers don't usually do documentaries about themselves, but Agnes Varda's The Beaches of Agnes is good enough to start a trend."
‑ Mick LaSalle, San Francisco Chronicle
"The warm, elfin filmmaker makes a fine companion through this vivid story of a life well lived, reminding us at the end of how we create our own safe havens within our families."
‑ Moira MacDonald, Seattle Times
"The uplifting meandering piece on the likable eccentric filmmaker, Varda, is self-reflective, poignant and heartfelt."
"It's a unique, funny recollection of a life, through memories and moments."
‑ Jeffrey M. Anderson, Combustible Celluloid
"A touching, highly whimsical journey down memory lane."
‑ Philip French, Observer [UK]