Let My People Go!
Let My People Go!
A sweet and hilarious fusion of gay romantic comedy, Jewish family drama and French bedroom farce, Mikael Buch's Let My People Go! follows the travails and daydreams of the lovelorn Reuben (Nicolas Maury), a French-Jewish gay mailman living in fairytale Finland (where he got his MA in "Comparative Sauna Cultures") with his gorgeous Nordic boyfriend. But just before Passover, a series of mishaps and a lovers' quarrel exile the heartbroken Reuben back to Paris and his zany family-including Almodovar goddess Carmen Maura as his ditzy mom, and Truffaut regular Jean-François… More

"Oy vey doesn't begin to address the result."
‑ Loren King, Boston Globe
"Reuben is a whiny and uncoordinated prodigal son. His constant chafing at himself and the world is the film's biggest problem; by the midway point we're all wishing him back in Finland where he belongs."
‑ Jeannette Catsoulis, New York Times
"Though the film alludes repeatedly to the story of Exodus, it remains bound to hysterical stereotypes and hyperbolic plotting."
‑ Peter Keough, Boston Phoenix
"Without a consistent stylistic playfulness to match the histrionic scenarios, the action often feels just plain silly."
‑ Diego Costa, Slant Magazine
"The road to the inevitable slapsticky Seder is paved with more sweetness than bite, a good deal of frantic foolishness and progressively thinner laughs, all wrapped in a message of acceptance and inclusiveness."
‑ Sheri Linden, Los Angeles Times
"The result is late Woody Allen, when early might have done the trick."
‑ Ella Taylor, NPR
"May well be the world's first French-Jewish-Finnish-Gay movie. Enjoyably campy."
‑ Fr. Chris Carpenter, Movie Dearest
"Among gay Jewish French postman movies, "Let My People Go!" may be a Hall of Fame entry, but alas, by any other standard this would-be sex comedy is a dismal failure."
‑ Kyle Smith, New York Post
"Though under 90 minutes, the whole frantically zany affair seems to last at least eight days. It might help to have a bottle of Manischewitz handy."
‑ Elizabeth Weitzman, New York Daily News
"It will amuse and delight you because it never takes itself too seriously."
‑ Avi Offer, NYC Movie Guru