Letters from Iwo Jima
Letters from Iwo Jima
After bringing the story of the American soldiers who fought in the battle of Iwo Jima to the screen in his film Flags of Our Fathers, Clint Eastwood offers an equally thoughtful portrait of the Japanese forces who held the island for 36 days in this military drama. In 1945, World War II was in its last stages, and U.S. forces were planning to take on the Japanese on a small island known as Iwo Jima. While the island was mostly rock and volcanoes, it was of key strategic value and Japan's leaders saw the island as the final opportunity to prevent an Allied invasion. Lt. General Tadamichi… More

"An even more sombre affair, as beautifully restrained as the earlier film but also, despite its scenes of battle, death, suicide and suffering, shockingly intimate."
‑ Wally Hammond, Time Out
"The proper way to appreciate Letters and Flags is to treat them as complimentary halves of the same epic movie, a Godfather war epic. One half is plainly more ambitious than the other, but both have virtues that distinguish them."
‑ Roger Moore, Orlando Sentinel
"Modern-day echoes of being snookered into a bad war aren't lost on Clint Eastwood, and "Letters from Iwo Jima" delivers an overwhelmingly powerful eulogy for the death of righteousness in combat on either side of the line."
‑ Nick Rogers, Suite101.com
"Eastwood is a master of the extended look (this comes from the two directors he acknowledges as his own masters, Sergio Leone and Don Siegel), the look that stretches time and that is blinded by what it sees."
‑ Chris Fujiwara, Boston Phoenix
"Eastwood's direction is a thing of beauty, blending unblinking ferocity with fragile delicacy."
‑ Brandon Fibbs, BrandonFibbs.com
"The movie's sense of doom is powerfully conveyed; one graphic scene has weeping soldiers blowing themselves up with grenades."
‑ Stephen Garrett, Time Out New York
"By placing us on the opposite side of the battlefield, the movie forces us to approach it from a fresh perspective. The technique also lends Letters an uncommon timelessness."
‑ Rene Rodriguez, Miami Herald
"Not an anti-war tract or a glorification but, rather, a fair consideration of humanity that exists within the inhumanity of armed conflict."
‑ Donald J. Levit, ReelTalk Movie Reviews
"The most important film of 2006 was Clint Eastwood's Letters from Iwo Jima. In 20 years Letters from Iwo Jima will be a classic."
‑ Tony Macklin, Fayetteville Free Weekly
"Both technical grace and an efficient ensemble smooth over some...clunky plotting."
‑ Bill Weber, Stylus Magazine
"Indirectly but cogently comment on our experiences of other movies. Having Japanese soldiers as heroes allows us to reconsider the didacticism we've been handed in the past."
‑ Jonathan Rosenbaum, Chicago Reader
"Where Flags heaved its characters through war and psychic trauma without first allowing us all to get acquainted, Letters takes such care with its protagonists that they awaken and descend from the screen."
‑ Amy Biancolli, Houston Chronicle
"Eastwood's cinema is one of resolutely moral images"
‑ Fernando F. Croce, CinePassion
"War is hell, always has been, and movies will continue to confirm it for anyone who might doubt. In this case, though, Letters only shows that for all the different perspective the other side of a war could have, it's the same old movie clichés."
‑ Fred Topel, Hollywood.com
"A fine, textured study of war, one that considers the strategic side as well as the human side without sacrificing either."
‑ Rob Gonsalves, eFilmCritic.com