L.I.E.
A teenaged boy in desperate need of a father figure finds one in a place no one should ever have to look in this controversial drama. Howie (Paul Franklin Dano) is a 15-year-old who has been emotionally at sea ever since the death of his mother in an auto accident several years before. Howie's father Marty (Bruce Altman) is also having trouble dealing with the loss, and distracts himself with empty sex while avoiding authorities attempting to prosecute him for using unsafe materials in his building contracting business. Howie falls in with a group of homeless delinquents his own age,… More

"Cuesta never gives us the satisfaction of fulfilling our expectations; instead he gives us a movie that we can ponder long the road takes its final turn."
‑ Peter Howell, Toronto Star
"Difficult and flawed feature debut."
‑ Michael O'Sullivan, Washington Post
"...worth checking out for Cox's amazing performance..."
‑ David Nusair, Reel Film Reviews
"A story which never resorts to sensationalism in its troubling study of people wanting to find a way out."
‑ Harry Guerin, RTE Interactive (Dublin, Ireland)
"There were no breakthroughs."
"Recoiling from L.I.E. is a very human, and frankly a very responsible, reaction."
‑ Roger Moore, Orlando Sentinel
"Gripping, troubling, and deftly acted."
‑ Rita Kempley, Washington Post
"Cuesta has succeeded in making a clear and captivating narrative involving the issues of trust, loss and deceit, all of which take place within the space of a week."
‑ Moira Sullivan, FilmFestivals.com
"Ultimately offers little satisfaction outside of the strong performances."
‑ Michael Dequina, TheMovieReport.com
"Cox plays the boy-fancier, orange muscle car and all, with a brilliance you have to see to believe."
‑ Liz Braun, Jam! Movies
"A mature, insightful and extremely well-acted study."
‑ Rene Rodriguez, Miami Herald
"One of the most provocative independent films of the year."
‑ Terry Lawson, Detroit Free Press
"Raises the bar on the coming-of-age story with a tightly focused portrait of a 15-year-old who looks for a father figure and finds his kindly neighborhood sexual predator."
‑ Joshua Tanzer, Offoffoff
"It's a fiercely compelling tale, the acting is among the year's best, so I wish Cuesta had been content to leave it at that."
‑ Sean Burns, Philadelphia Weekly
"in the end, this is more deservedly bad press for NAMBLA."
‑ Brandon Judell, PopcornQ