Little Children
Oscar-nominated filmmaker Todd Field teams with novelist Tom Perrotta to adapt Perrotta's acclaimed novel concerning the suburban malaise experienced by a handful of small-town individuals whose intersecting lives converge in a variety of surprising, and sometimes ominous, ways. Kate Winslet, Jennifer Connelly, and Patrick Wilson star in a cinematic adaptation that doesn't aim so much to simply reproduce the book for the screen as it does to re-imagine the written word by exploring new possibilities for the characters and situations originally presented in Perrotta's 2004… More

"Little Children is disturbing and smart and the best satire of modern American suburbia since American Beauty."
‑ Roger Moore, Orlando Sentinel
"As in Field's first film, the characters are drawn with such compassion their follies become our own and their desires seem as vast as the night sky."
‑ J. R. Jones, Chicago Reader
"More than just another dissection of suburban sexual frustration, its concern with children, parents and those of us who lie somewhere in-between make Little Children a minor masterpiece."
‑ , Film4
"Its antiseptic textures merely whimper 'Oscar clip'"
‑ Fernando F. Croce, CinePassion
"A risky and rewarding art film, but definitely for grown-ups."
‑ Geoff Berkshire, Metromix.com
"Well-acted and meticulously crafted, Little Children can feel less like a full-blooded representation of life than a disquieting literary exercise."
‑ Robert Denerstein, Denver Rocky Mountain News
"Little Children includes all the clichéd scenarios of a midday TV sudser, but they're ratcheted up several seedy degrees."
‑ Kathy Cano Murillo, Arizona Republic
"It's not necessarily a cautionary tale, but more a look within a surface utopia that doesn't really exist."
‑ Jeff Otto, ReelzChannel.com
"Bereft of a protagonist, the movie breaks down under the weight of absurd voice-over narration and an exploitative ending that is as indefensibly wrongheaded as it is cheap."
‑ Cole Smithey, ColeSmithey.com
"Little Children is about as close as a movie can get to literature %u2014 rich, nuanced, erudite and multi-layered."
‑ Brandon Fibbs, BrandonFibbs.com
"I didn't like any of these characters, but I kept pulling for them anyway -- right up to the shock-o-riffic ending, when I felt I'd been sucker-punched."
‑ Jim Emerson, Chicago Sun-Times
"A beautifully observed, profoundly moving tale of suburban malaise."
‑ Colin Covert, Minneapolis Star Tribune
"As commentary on our time, it may be accurate. As movie drama, it isn't so much overheated as reheated in the microwave on high."
‑ A.S. Hamrah, Boston Phoenix
"Blame Field (remember, Perrotta also wrote the knifelike Election), for facing the material too squarely."
‑ Jonathan Kiefer, Sacramento News & Review
"The leads are self-delusional, secretive, dependent, nakedly desperate at times, and all fascinating."
‑ Karina Montgomery, Cinerina