Living the Dream
Living the Dream
Their lives going nowhere fast, two middle-aged friends from Los Angeles start up their own business in a bid to gain the respect of their friends and colleagues. As young children, Brenda (Sean Young) and her immigrant friend Jonathan (Christian Schoyen) were bullied mercilessly. Now they're adults, and not much has changed. In an attempt to get their lives on track, they take a shot at the American Dream. But while owning your own business is easy, getting to the top in a city like L.A. is nearly impossible. Seduced by the prospect of success and caught up dreams of fast cars and fat… More

"There is undeniable heart in Living the Dream, with its implicit criticism of mercenary values, but its world is populated solely by hustlers, recruiters and salesmen with nothing to sell."
‑ Michael Ordoņa, Los Angeles Times
""Will you stick with me, no matter what?" Brenda asks on more than one occasion. Unfortunately for the filmmakers, the audience's answer may well be "no.""
‑ Chad Greene, Boxoffice Magazine
"An embarrassment of a vanity project."
‑ James C. Taylor, L.A. Weekly
"This vanity production ... seems to want us to sympathize with characters who are both unlikable and stupid. Where at the beginning I thought the level of abuse [the hero] endures was absurd and unrealistic, by the end I wanted to join in."
‑ Andy Klein, Los Angeles CityBeat
"A vapid mess that outwardly looks like a theatrical movie but just careens around from sequence to disconnected sequence like a badly tarted-up pinball."
‑ Frank Lovece, Film Journal International