Looking for Comedy in the Muslim World
Looking For Comedy in a Muslim World
Comic and filmmaker Albert Brooks serves his country while struggling to get some laughs in this offbeat satiric comedy. Brooks plays himself, a comedic filmmaker whose most recent success was providing the voice of a fish for an animated feature and who has just been passed by as director for a remake of Harvey. As Brooks wonders what's going to happen next with his career, his wife (Amy Ryan), and his daughter, he's approached by government representatives who want him for a special assignment. The State Department, eager to better understand the cultural gap between the United… More

"The movie has a perversely unifying effect: Muslims, Christians and Jews may not be able to agree on exactly who the heck Jesus is, but they're fully capable of bonding in boredom."
‑ Stephanie Zacharek, Salon.com
"I like all of Brooks's features, which are brilliantly conceptualized and deftly executed. This one's no exception, and some of the laughs are genuinely cathartic."
‑ Jonathan Rosenbaum, Chicago Reader
"Finally seeing this film so many years after I was told it was awful, I can't agree with the people who told me that. Perhaps I love Brooks' self-deprecating humor too much. Paul Chambers, CNN."
‑ Paul Chambers, CNNRadio
"Looking for Comedy succeeds smashingly both as a comedy and as a savvy deconstruction of comedy."
‑ Nathan Rabin, AV Club
"Looking For Comedy in the Muslim World is full of Albert Brooks' trademark jokes and absurd scenarios."
‑ Mike McGranaghan, Aisle Seat
"I think this thing is just flat and dead."
‑ Richard Roeper, Ebert & Roeper
"For all its silliness, Looking for Comedy in the Muslim World is also a work of integrity."
‑ Mick LaSalle, San Francisco Chronicle
"If there were any justice, the garlands now given to Woody Allen for Match Point would be handed over to Brooks"
‑ Fernando F. Croce, CinePassion
"In Albert Brooks's new film, we get another plausible explanation of why we fight -- and it may be the most unsettling of all."
‑ Stuart Klawans, The Nation
"Despite the potential for disaster Brooks sets up with the title, the movie is relatively harmless. It's just so very harmless that it doesn't make much of an impression."
‑ John J. Puccio, Movie Metropolis
"A comedian should never attempt to be a diplomat."
‑ Peter Howell, Toronto Star
"... the movie is a fatally benign effort to jolly us out of the post-9/11 blues while studiously avoiding giving offense in Dubai."
‑ Ella Taylor, L.A. Weekly
"Brooks is going to India to shoot a movie (most of it filmed in New Delhi) about how to get laughs on foreign soil."
"Those who like their humor wry and dry will be rewarded by a nuanced study of the way self-absorption can keep people disconnected, be they comedians, governments, or you and me."
‑ Carolyn Arends, Christianity Today
"Brooks o tipo de comediante mais corajoso que existe: aquele que prefere ser considerado um fracasso pela maioria desde que, no processo, divirta alguns poucos que consigam compreender seu senso de humor sutil e auto-depreciativo."
‑ Pablo Villaca, Cinema em Cena