The Lovers of the Arctic Circle (Los Amantes del Círculo Polar) (The Lovers from the North Pole)
Julio Medem directed this romantic Spanish drama with location scenes in Finland. School children Ana (Sara Valiente) and Otto (Peru Medem) are brought together when a paper airplane flown from a window by Otto unites Ana's mother Olga (Maru Valdiviesio) with Otto's father Alvaro (Nancho Novo). After this encounter, Olga and Alvaro fall in love -- with the result that Alvaro leaves Otto's German mother Ula (Beate Jensen). To be near Ana, Otto begins living with Alvaro and Olga. Ana believes that Otto harbors the soul of her dead father. As adolescents, Otto (Fele Martinez) and Ana… More

"The movie is about love -- or, rather, about their grand ideas of romance. It is comforting to think that we can love so powerfully that fate itself wheels and turns at the command of our souls."
"It's hard not to find the whole thing pretentious and obnoxious."
‑ Chuck Rudolph, Matinee Magazine
"Devotees of conceptual cinema will find plenty to enjoy in the director's ingenious tapestry of recurring motifs and symbols."
‑ Kevin Lally, Film Journal International
"refuses to dumb down the presentation to craft one of the most beautiful romances in recent memory"
‑ John A. Nesbit, Old School Reviews
"you're sure to fall in love with all three actresses that play the woman throughout her life."
‑ Christopher Null, Filmcritic.com
"if you're a lover of dark abstract art, you might just be a lover of the Arctic Circle."
‑ Ross Anthony, Hollywood Report Card
"A triumphant exercise in style."
‑ Michael Dequina, TheMovieReport.com
"I felt caught up in the film's magical spell despite the many reservations I had about it being manipulative."
"Medem superimposes his patterns with a heavy hand on top of the story and then feels he has to underline, italicize, and CAPITALIZE to make sure we don't miss his conceits."
‑ Arthur Lazere, culturevulture.net