Love's Labour's Lost
Actor/director Kenneth Branagh sets his screen version of Shakespeare's play in the 1930s, adding such classic songs as "They Can't Take That Away From Me," "The Way You Look Tonight," and "Let's Face the Music and Dance," and staging it in the manner of a Fred Astaire-Ginger Rogers musical. The King of Navarre (Allesandro Nivola) and three of his noblemen (Branagh, Matthew Lillard, and Adrien Lester) have decided that they're wasting their time chasing women. They swear a solemn oath to spend the next three years avoiding the pitfalls of romance… More

"A luscious labor of love."
‑ Derek Elley, Variety
"Everybody in Love's Labour's Lost tries so hard to please, they frequently lose track of the matter at hand, to say nothing of the dialogue."
‑ Robert Horton, Film.com
"A noble experiment that didn't quite work out."
‑ Ellen MacKay, Common Sense Media
"Alicia Silverstone was better as Batgirl than in this piece of garbage. I don't think she even understood what she was saying."
‑ Chris Gore, Film Threat
"Casting Silverstone as the princess gives final proof of Branagh's temporary (one hopes) insanity."
‑ Joe Mader, Palo Alto Weekly
"An act of double homage to antique artifice."
‑ Geoff Andrew, Time Out
"A double travesty -- a triple one, actually, if you consider the quality of the singing and dancing."
‑ J. Hoberman, Village Voice
"It may not be 'hip', but it's definitely enjoyable and it's a shame that there isn't more scope for genuine musical talents like Lester to utilise their gifts in modern cinema."
‑ , Empire Magazine
"Branagh takes one of Shakespeare's lesser-known plays and puts his own imaginative spin on the subject."
‑ Robin Clifford, Reeling Reviews
"Love's Labour's Lost wasn't lost on me at all; if I could float into the air, singing 'Cheek to Cheek' with total, unabashed sincerity, I probably would."
‑ Nick Davis, Nick's Flick Picks
"Maybe Kenneth Branagh should have left the Hollywood musical where he found it, back in the 1930s."
‑ David Germain, Atlanta Journal-Constitution
"The froth quickly curdles."
‑ Peter Rainer, New York Magazine/Vulture
"We all know who's going to pair off with whom in the end, but Branagh does get us there in some considerable style."
‑ , Film4
"Devices meant to keep Shakespeare user-friendly instead reduce the story to a jumble."
‑ Jeffrey Westhoff, Northwest Herald (Crystal Lake, IL)
"It's a delightful blend of past styles and songs that adds a much-needed zest to a dry and dreary movie season."
‑ Jeffrey M. Anderson, Combustible Celluloid