Love's Labour's Lost
In 1939, the King of Navarre and his three best friends swear an oath to give up women for three years whilst devoting themselves to the study of philosophy. One of the terms of their pledge specifically prohibits women from their presence, but the arrival of the Princess of France and her three beautiful attendants on a diplomatic visit throws the plan into disarray. Is this a feasible feat for a man of the court? And what of the King? The men begin to pursue their desires unbeknownst to each other, acting in secret and concealing their passions. The mood is broken by the news of the death of… More

"A luscious labor of love."
‑ Derek Elley, Variety
"Everybody in Love's Labour's Lost tries so hard to please, they frequently lose track of the matter at hand, to say nothing of the dialogue."
‑ Robert Horton, Film.com
"A noble experiment that didn't quite work out."
‑ Ellen MacKay, Common Sense Media
"Alicia Silverstone was better as Batgirl than in this piece of garbage. I don't think she even understood what she was saying."
‑ Chris Gore, Film Threat
"Casting Silverstone as the princess gives final proof of Branagh's temporary (one hopes) insanity."
‑ Joe Mader, Palo Alto Weekly
"An act of double homage to antique artifice."
‑ Geoff Andrew, Time Out
"A double travesty -- a triple one, actually, if you consider the quality of the singing and dancing."
‑ J. Hoberman, Village Voice
"It may not be 'hip', but it's definitely enjoyable and it's a shame that there isn't more scope for genuine musical talents like Lester to utilise their gifts in modern cinema."
‑ , Empire Magazine
"Branagh takes one of Shakespeare's lesser-known plays and puts his own imaginative spin on the subject."
‑ Robin Clifford, Reeling Reviews
"Love's Labour's Lost wasn't lost on me at all; if I could float into the air, singing 'Cheek to Cheek' with total, unabashed sincerity, I probably would."
‑ Nick Davis, Nick's Flick Picks
"Maybe Kenneth Branagh should have left the Hollywood musical where he found it, back in the 1930s."
‑ David Germain, Atlanta Journal-Constitution
"The froth quickly curdles."
‑ Peter Rainer, New York Magazine/Vulture
"We all know who's going to pair off with whom in the end, but Branagh does get us there in some considerable style."
‑ , Film4
"Devices meant to keep Shakespeare user-friendly instead reduce the story to a jumble."
‑ Jeffrey Westhoff, Northwest Herald (Crystal Lake, IL)
"It's a delightful blend of past styles and songs that adds a much-needed zest to a dry and dreary movie season."
‑ Jeffrey M. Anderson, Combustible Celluloid