Lucky You
In the world of high-stakes poker, Huck Cheever is a blaster--a player who goes all out, all the time. But in his personal relationships, Huck plays it tight, expertly avoiding emotional commitments and long-term expectations. When Huck sets out to win the main event of the 2003 World Series of Poker--and the affections of Billie Offer, a young singer from Bakersfield--there is one significant obstacle in his path: his anger toward his father, L.C. Cheever, the poker legend who abandoned Huck's mother years ago. As these two rivals progress toward a final showdown at the poker table, Huck… More

"Hanson and Roth shuffle the two sides of the movie, the poker tournament and the love affair, with a Howard Hawksian feel for casual professionalism."
‑ Michael Wilmington, Chicago Tribune
"Feels like Showgirls without the tits or dancing."
‑ Joshua Rothkopf, Time Out New York
"Don't bet on Barrymore's lackluster poker rom-com."
‑ Heather Boerner, Common Sense Media
"Since Lucky You overdid the poker cliches to death, let me end with one of my favorites: 'You got to know when to hold'em, know when to fold'em.' It seems this film never learned that lesson."
‑ Jeff Bayer, The Scorecard Review
"Lucky You undoes what Rounders did right."
‑ Adam Fendelman, HollywoodChicago.com
"While fans of Eric Bana may get a kick out of his meaty, manly performance, Drew Barrymore is a huge mistake."
‑ James Mottram, Time Out
"It's a ponderous, anemic bore about how to play poker that exploits the trendy gambling fever that is all the rage on the Internet and cable TV, but doesn't have enough energy to keep the most catatonic tournament-poker addict awake."
‑ Rex Reed, New York Observer
"Curtis Hanson's film concerns itself with wage-makers' addictive pathological itch, desperate hustles and poker's cult of very strange personalities. Its most striking "Tin Cup" kinship: Vindication and victory don't always arrive together."
‑ Nick Rogers, Suite101.com
"Better to fold 'em than to spend time watching Eric Bana and Drew Barrymore go literally nowhere."
‑ Bruce Bennett, Spectrum (St. George, Utah)
"...a well-intentioned romantic-gambling film that misses the mark by providing little we haven't seen before and better."
‑ John J. Puccio, Movie Metropolis
"Lucky You is hardly Mr. Hanson's strongest effort, but it does contain many of his saving graces: a warm regard for his characters, an unhurried pace for his narrative and a grown-up sense of morality."
‑ Andrew Sarris, New York Observer
"Most of Lucky You, starting with the title, is ordinary or outright awful. Moviemakers, it seems, cannot bluff their way to success."
‑ David Denby, New Yorker
"I don't think I believed the movie Lucky You, but I sort of enjoyed it. A caveat: I enjoy watching poker on ESPN. If you don't, this movie will bore you."
‑ Tony Macklin, Fayetteville Free Weekly
"Personally, I think this is one of those misunderstood films that never got a fair shake. DVD often corrects such oversights, and my hope is that Lucky You will finally find the appreciative audience it deserves."
‑ Mike McGranaghan, Aisle Seat
"As soon as it has to face the real world, and deal with "emotions," it goes completely slack."
‑ Tim Brayton, Antagony & Ecstasy