Madadayo
Set in postwar Japan, the film portrays the relationship between four students and Hyakken Uchida, one of the true free spirits of the Japanese literary world.

"A lifetime of moviemaking -- Kurosawa was 83 when he made it -- seems to have pared down his technique to its essentials."
‑ Peter Rainer, New York Magazine/Vulture
"This warm, celebratory and very public film is punctuated by sudden and luminous private visualizations."
‑ Bob Graham, San Francisco Chronicle
"The giant who walked among us is no more. We are fortunate to have the cinematic legacy he left."
‑ Jean Lowerison, San Diego Metropolitan
"A masterly work, with Kurosawa, then 83, still capable of surprising an audience and creating indelible images."
‑ Kevin Lally, Film Journal International
"It's not one of Kurosawa's great films; the compass of feeling is, in the end, too narrow, the scope of human reference too restricted. But it is, within its own proportions, nearly perfect."
‑ A.O. Scott, New York Times
"Kurosawa's swan song is a personal and overly sentimental story of a real-life retired university professor and literary figure."
"A sweetly overlong portrayal of an interconnected community whose center is a beloved professor."
‑ Rachel Gordon, Filmcritic.com
"Beautiful and funny."
‑ Jeffrey M. Anderson, Combustible Celluloid
"This is the kind of film we would all like to make, if we were very old and very serene. There were times when I felt uncannily as if Kurosawa were filming his own graceful decline into the night."
"The movie is a study in quiet revelations."
‑ Marjorie Baumgarten, Austin Chronicle
"Sad and agonizing, it nonetheless allows Kurosawa to demonstrate his uniquely optimistic view of the world."
‑ Chuck Rudolph, Matinee Magazine
"The film is warm, whimsical, tender, and genuinely heartfelt."
‑ Harvey S. Karten, Compuserve