Manufactured Landscapes
Documentarian Jennifer Baichwal's latest film, Manufactured Landscapes, represents a multifaceted effort. The picture ostensibly provides a thought-provoking investigation of photographer Edward Burtynsky's legacy, with its aesthetic studies of industrial landscapes. But Baichwal's documentary probes deeper than a mere surface-level glimpse of Burtynsky's life and work. It uses the topic of Burtynsky as a springboard, segueing, from there, into a protracted exploration of "the aesthetic, social and spiritual dimensions of industrialization and globalization." Whereas… More
Directed By
© Zeitgeist Films

"What the film does well is to make us part of the problem: After all we demand the lowest prices in everything we buy and that probably means it was made in China."
‑ Marta Barber, Miami Herald
"Burtynsky calls for "a whole new way of thinking" about the world's economy and ecology, though he never says what's wrong with the old way."
‑ Bill Stamets, Chicago Sun-Times
"There is nothing wrong with Baichwal's camerawork, with a fascinating opening eight-minute shot of it roaming across a Chinese factory floor, particularly stunning - but everything lacks depth."
‑ Amber Wilkinson, Eye for Film
"A film in search of a subject."
‑ Tim Brayton, Antagony & Ecstasy
"Like Burtynsky's pictures, captures images that are at once awesome, humbling, and rather terrifying."
‑ Frank Swietek, One Guy's Opinion
"Canadian fine art photographer Edward Burtynsky shoots the recycling dumps, superfactories, vast quarries and shipyards, capturing visual beauty in the ecological devastation."
‑ Colin Covert, Minneapolis Star Tribune
"The movie works best traveling from the eye straight to the conscience."
‑ J. R. Jones, Chicago Reader
"Burtynsky's awe-inspiring work ultimately speaks for itself."
‑ Jeffrey Chen, Window to the Movies
"Burtynsky avoids any political content to his work, but it's hard not to feel anxious and sad at the spectacle of the rapid industrialization and urbanization of the world's most populous nation."
‑ Marc Mohan, Oregonian
"I got the streamlined version of a minimalist modern art piece, when what I wanted was an old-fashioned documentary."
‑ Cherryl Dawson and Leigh Ann Palone, TheMovieChicks.com
"Feels constrained and rather dutiful, no matter how passionate these people are about what they're observing."
‑ Michael Phillips, Chicago Tribune
"Again and again, Baichwal tapers passages of her film toward resolution in the form of a finished picture by Burtynsky, telescoping her vision and his."
‑ Kenneth Baker, San Francisco Chronicle
"Each of Burtynsky's subjects is impressive in its scale, but terrifying in its ecological impact."
‑ Jeffrey M. Anderson, Combustible Celluloid
"My first question: What kind of nefarious events had to occur so that I could purchase the computer with which I write this review?"
‑ Josh Rosenblatt, Austin Chronicle
"Documentarian Jennifer Baichwal's film finds a way to comment on ecological and environmental destruction without bludgeoning audiences with heavy-handed messages. There is a mesmerizing quality to the film."
‑ Jeff Vice, Deseret News, Salt Lake City