McCabe & Mrs. Miller
Memorably described by Pauline Kael as "a beautiful pipe dream of a movie," Robert Altman's McCabe & Mrs. Miller reimagines the American West as a muddy frontier filled with hustlers, opportunists, and corporate sharks -- a turn-of-the-century model for a 1971 America mired in violence and lies. John McCabe (Warren Beatty) wanders into the turn-of-the-century wilderness village known as Presbyterian Church, with vague plans of parlaying his gambling winnings into establishing a fancy casino-brothel-bathhouse. McCabe's business partner is prostitute Mrs. Miller (Julie… More

"A period story about a small northwest mountain village where stars Warren Beatty and Julie Christie run the bordello, the production suffers from overlength; also a serious effort at moody photography which backfires into pretentiousness."
‑ Variety Staff, Variety
"I don't automatically object to contemporary allusions, but I prefer to find them myself, and McCabe and Mrs. Miller is so busy pointing them out to us that the effect is to undercut its narrative drive and the dignity of its fiction."
‑ Vincent Canby, New York Times
""...less a deromanticized Western than an emasculated one.""
‑ Josh Larsen, LarsenOnFilm
"A surprise departure from modern-sensible ensemble maestro Robert Altman."
‑ Wesley Lovell, Cinema Sight
"Altman's capacity for fashioning an oddball romance without defeating the tough political implications of the story make this one of the greatest of all westerns and a key work in American cinema."
‑ Derek Malcolm, This is London
"Still Robert Altman's best moment, this 1971 antiwestern murmurs softly of love, death, and capitalism."
‑ Dave Kehr, Chicago Reader
"The movie haunts you like a ballad whose tune you remember but whose words hang just beyond reach. And like listening to a ballad, we know the outcome of the events we're watching was foretold long ago, but we're helpless to do anything but surrender."
‑ Charles Taylor, Salon.com
"A sort of feminist Deadwood"
‑ Dan Jardine, Cinemania
"The film invites the sort of active participation that defines the best, most personal criticism of the arts."
‑ Walter Chaw, Film Freak Central
"If anything, Robert Altman's self-styled "anti-western" looks even richer, stranger and more daring than it did when it first appeared back in 1971."
‑ Xan Brooks, Guardian
"A pioneering film, in both senses of the word, and one of the key works in the American cinema of the 1970s."
‑ David Jenkins, Time Out
"Robert Altman has made a dozen films that can be called great in one way or another, but one of them is perfect, and that one is McCabe & Mrs. Miller."
"Altman's warmest, most lyrical masterwork doesn't so much scrap the mythology off the Western as invent a folkloric form of its own"
‑ Fernando F. Croce, CinePassion
"A bleak, beautifully mounted, elegiac film."
‑ Philip French, Observer [UK]
"A poetic, slow-burning tale of America's pioneering past, it's an off-beat western and one of Altman's finest films."
‑ Wendy Ide, Times [UK]