Mean Creek
Independent filmmaker Jacob Aaron Estes makes his feature debut with the coming-of-age drama Mean Creek. Rory Culkin, Ryan Kelley, Scott Mechlowicz, Josh Peck, Trevor Morgan, and Carly Schroeder are teenagers living in small-town Oregon. Some of the boys take a boat trip for a birthday celebration. When they get an idea to play a mean trick on the town bully, it suddenly goes too far. Soon they're forced to deal with the unexpected consequences of their actions. Mean Creek was workshopped at the Eugene O'Neill Center's National Playwrights Conference and premiered at the Sundance… More

"Estes' dark sunlit tale cuts like a knife."
‑ Steven Rea, Philadelphia Inquirer
"Estes has accomplished quite a bit here. In addition to providing a textbook example of suspense, he also makes us want to know what happens to these kids after the screen goes dark."
‑ Connie Ogle, Miami Herald
"This movie about teens is for adults only."
‑ Nell Minow, Common Sense Media
"Follows a fluid narrative that never feels contrived, and leaves the audience with genuine sympathy for every single child involved."
‑ Gabe Leibowitz, Film and Felt
"I've actually known my fair share of troubled kids, and this film is as accurate a depiction of them as I've ever seen."
‑ Mike McGranaghan, Aisle Seat
"A low-key, low-budget thriller that reminds us just how cruel young people can be."
‑ Jay Boyar, Orlando Sentinel
"You could call Mean Creek a moral thriller. And the emotional currents the movie wades into are far more tricky than the gentle surface the kids' boat floats along."
‑ Lisa Kennedy, Denver Post
"First time writer/ director Estes brings sensitivity and insight to this tale of teens pushed to extremes and forced to confront their sense of responsibility and morality"
‑ Urban Cinefile Critics, Urban Cinefile
"A mature, significant contribution to the unfornately growing trend of films that address teen violence (unfortunate in that we need the trend at all)."
‑ Brian Juergens, Freeze Dried Movies
"...a movie about moral choices, about learning what it is to be decent in the world."
‑ Philip Martin, Arkansas Democrat-Gazette
"Although it is a flawed film, with a first half that moves slowly and sometimes tediously, it is redeemed by a second half that is gripping, not only for its action but for its moral complexity."
‑ Richard Nilsen, Arizona Republic
"I never lived a story anything like this, but I understand the emotional life of this film -- and I'm betting you will, too."
‑ Robert Denerstein, Denver Rocky Mountain News
"example of everything that is good in American independent cinema"
‑ Dragan Antulov, Draxblog Movie Reviews
"A wonderful, if dreary, teen drama."
‑ Forrest Hartman, Reno Gazette-Journal
"We're forced to stare both the perpetrators and the victims full in the face, to see what made them the fools they are and what will come of the foolishness they commit."
‑ Jeffrey Overstreet, Looking Closer