Meek's Cutoff
The year is 1845, the earliest days of the Oregon Trail, and a wagon train of three families has hired mountain man Stephen Meek to guide them over the Cascade Mountains. Claiming to know a shortcut, Meek leads the group on an unmarked path across the high plain desert, only to become lost in the dry rock and sage. Over the coming days, the emigrants face the scourges of hunger, thirst and their own lack of faith in one another's instincts for survival. When a Native American wanderer crosses their path, the emigrants are torn between their trust in a guide who has proven himself… More

"Imagine a collaboration between John Ford and Wallace Stevens and you might get a sense of what Kelly Reichardt pulls off here: a sincere re-creation of the pioneer experience, brought to life through careful, often unexpected detail."
‑ Ben Sachs, Chicago Reader
"A mesmerizing cinematic journey that is often as arduous and spare as the lives of its hard-bitten protagonists."
‑ Ann Hornaday, Washington Post
"Meek's Cutoff is a thoughtful, and intimate narrative that is beautifully shot and has outstanding direction."
‑ Blake Griffin, We Got This Covered
"The film is both evocative and provocative; atmospherically and conceptually, respectively."
‑ Dan Jardine, Cinemania
"I felt like I was trapped on a slow-moving wagon train to nowhere with a bunch of people I wanted to escape from."
‑ Robert Roten, Laramie Movie Scope
"Greatly enhanced by the performances of Michelle Williams and Bruce Greenwood, director Kelly Reichardt's film quietly becomes engrossing - it almost sneaks up on you."
‑ Bill Goodykoontz, Arizona Republic
"This is the sort of film critics love to praise because the filmmaker has done good work before; and well, there must be something there. Well, there's not."
‑ Tom Long, Detroit News
"Reichardt's film is - to put it simply - a masterpiece."
‑ Glenn Dunks, Trespass
"I rarely feel the heart-in-my-throat suspense that I felt as Reichardt's characters sent a covered wagon down a steep hill ..."
‑ Jeffrey Overstreet, Filmwell
"Reichardt puts such an unequivocal spin on this well-trod territory as to make it feel heretofore uncharted and of her own reckoning."
‑ Michael Nordine, Not Coming to a Theater Near You
"There are stretches that are, frankly, boring. But the vivid details and intimacy you develop with these travelers sticks with you, leaving you in awe of the insane feats people had to accomplish in order for us to enjoy the world we know today."
‑ Rene Rodriguez, Miami Herald
"A film ponderously slow in pace yet kinetically charged with insight; starkly realistic yet allegorical too; psychologically astute yet politically resonant."
‑ Rick Groen, Globe and Mail
"presented people who were so devoid of personality, humor and interest that I didn't care if any of them made it out alive"
‑ Kevin Carr, 7M Pictures
"A better complement than 'The Big Trail' would be 'The Blair Witch Project,' another film that taps into an American unease with the wilderness that is the shadow twin of the country's bold sense of manifest destiny."
‑ John Beifuss, Commercial Appeal (Memphis, TN)
"Offbeat and most interesting western about emigrant pioneers lost in the prairie."