Memoirs of My Nervous Illness
Memoirs of My Nervous Illness
The seminal, early 20th century case that inspired Freud, Jung, and Lacan is fictionalized in director Julian P. Hobbs' fragmented account of one distinguished German judge's descent into schizophrenic madness and eventual incarceration in an insane asylum. Married at the turn of the century and subsequently appointed a high judge, Daniel Paul Schreber would later suffer through multiple failed pregnancies alongside his wife (Lara Milian), attempt to navigate a particularly rocky relationship with his uncaring father (Joe Coleman), and suffer through woefully misguided care at the… More

"Memoirs of My Nervous Illness is an accomplished and stylistically audacious effort that all too accurately conveys the confusion and mental disarray of its subject's illness, ultimately to its detriment."
‑ Frank Scheck, Hollywood Reporter
"[Jefferson] Mays throws himself into the role of a man who attempts to transform into a woman, but his efforts feel like futile flailings: The actor -- and his character -- are so much bigger than any story we're allowed to see."
‑ Elizabeth Weitzman, New York Daily News
"Under the welter of all this heavy aestheticism, some of the performers are somewhat stymied, but thankfully not Mays."
‑ David Noh, Film Journal International
"A brave and bewildering screen adaptation of a German judge's infamous, proto-Freudian account of his mental breakdown."
‑ Jason Anderson, eye WEEKLY
"Director-writer Hobbs, making his feature debut, walks the lip of the campy abyss in this deliberately theatrical rendering of the disturbed mind."
‑ John Anderson, Newsday
"The American actor Jefferson Mays is back in rouge and petticoats for Memoirs of My Nervous Illness, a punctilious account of madness and womb envy."
‑ Jeannette Catsoulis, New York Times
"indulgent and erudite in a way that only an art film can be"
‑ Anne Gilbert, Filmcritic.com
"The psychobabble makes for dry filmmaking until [subject Daniel Paul] Schreber starts going fem. From that point on, it's every man for himself."
‑ V.A. Musetto, New York Post
"Hobbs' inspired feature sticks close to real-life texts, retaining Schreber's disconcerting mix of Teutonic clarity and schizophrenic imaginings."
‑ Ronnie Scheib, Variety
"Hayes' remarkable portrayal calls forth the madman from the text and, eventually, the human being from the madman."
‑ Ken Fox, TV Guide's Movie Guide