Meotjin haru (My Dear Enemy)
Meotjin haru (My Dear Enemy)
Heui-Su shows up unexpectedly at the betting haunt of her former boyfriend and demands that he pay up the 3.5 million won (about $2,600) that he owes her from more than a year ago. This beautifully crafted film teases out the intricacies of modern relationships as it follows the ex-lovers on an unlikely road trip to borrow money from his contacts to pay her back. The natural chemistry between the two leads makes credible a partnership that is by turns prickly and inscrutable, yet surprisingly tender. In Korean; English subtitles. 123 min. --© MoMA

"It's an artful, slightly absurdist romance, reminiscent of the gender-war comedies of Hong Sang-soo (Woman on the Beach) but more straightforward, with its meanings, and its feelings, much closer to the surface."
‑ Manohla Dargis, New York Times
"It gets by on the subtle interplay of its contrasting leads, a welcome store of deadpan humor and, especially, Choi Sang-ho's gorgeous widescreen photography, which makes even a trip to an impound lot into a luminous, dusk-lit experience."
‑ Andrew Schenker, Village Voice
"The somewhat oddball premise of rekindling a dormant relationship by demanding repayment of a year-old $3,500 I.O.U. works remarkably well for director Lee Yoon-ki."
‑ S. James Wegg, JWR