Mermaids
There's no point in recounting the many production problems and personal hostilities which plagued the filming of Mermaids: the end result is all that matters. Set in the 1960s, the film details the relationship between an unorthodox, unmarried vagabond mother (Cher), and her two daughters. The 15-year-old (Winona Ryder), continually embarrassed by her flamboyant mother, wants to be the world's greatest Catholic; the nine-year-old (Christina Ricci) would be satisfied with becoming the world's champion swimmer. Moving with her family to New England, the older daughter falls in love… More

- Rent SD $2.99
- Rent HD $3.99
Subscription
Stream Now

"The delightful Ryder, billing notwithstanding, is really the star."
‑ Variety Staff, Variety
"I found a lot of it preposterous, but I enjoyed that quality. Why do we look at movies? To learn lessons and see life reflected back at us? Sometimes. But sometimes we simply sit there in the dark, stupefied by the spectacle."
"Moving, but teen sex content meant for discussion."
‑ Heather Boerner, Common Sense Media
"A pleasant but dull coming of age story that doesn't quite swim."
‑ Dan Lybarger, Lawrence Journal-World
"Mermaids has more to it than first meets the eye."
‑ Mark R. Leeper, rec.arts.movies.reviews
"Self-conscious, eccentric..."
‑ Derek Adams, Time Out
"Having made something of a specialty of woe-is-me, adolescent angst, Ryder finds a deeper level here, a level of comedy with something genuinely painful mixed in."
‑ Hal Hinson, Washington Post
"Three generations of greatness"
‑ Clint Morris, Film Threat
"When "Mermaids" is on the mark it's a riot - but often it bogs down with pointless set-pieces that seem to go nowhere and suffers from an ending that feels contrived and overly sentimental."
‑ Chris Hicks, Deseret News, Salt Lake City
"Miss Ryder is so good, in fact, that "Mermaids" might have dared to be a tougher, more satisfying movie than the stylish sitcom it is."
‑ Vincent Canby, New York Times
"It's awash in mediocrity, waterlogged with innocuousness and redeemed only occasionally by sweet-faced Ryder."
‑ Desson Thomson, Washington Post
"A bright, buoyant comedy about an unusual mother-daughter relationship."
‑ Frederic and Mary Ann Brussat, Spirituality and Practice
"a Cher fan's dream come true, a lively tale that allows her to play the kind of free-loving free spirit she used to sing about in 1970s numbers like 'Dixie Girl' ('waitin' on tables and passin' myself around' went the lyric)"
‑ James Sanford, Kalamazoo Gazette