"I cannot recall a more marvelous pair of acting performances in any one film."
‑ Gene Siskel, Chicago Tribune
"The acting, showy and instinctual, is most of the movie; the visual style is too forced and chicly distended to let the drama acquire much natural life of its own."
‑ Dave Kehr, Chicago Reader
"Classic Oscar winner has explicit material, mature themes."
‑ Jeffrey M. Anderson, Common Sense Media
"Strip away everything else and it's the performances that make Midnight Cowboy what it is."
‑ , Total Film
"Superb performances and a compelling script have made this film a strange mix of Oscar-winner and Cult Classic."
‑ Adam Smith, Empire Magazine
"Midnight Cowboy's peep-show vision of Manhattan lowlife may no longer be shocking, but what is shocking, in 1994, is to see a major studio film linger this lovingly on characters who have nothing to offer the audience but their own lost souls."
‑ Owen Gleiberman, Entertainment Weekly
"Outrageously overrated at the cynical end of the Swinging Sixties."
‑ Geoff Andrew, Time Out
"We can identify with them without false sentimentality and it is impossible not to do so."
‑ Derek Malcolm, Guardian
"The attempt to wring tender laughter from such a topic strikes me as being itself a kind of commercialized vice."
‑ Robert Hatch, The Nation
"The movie is locked into a sixties stylistic approach that can feel dated, but Hoffman's performance can prevent one from ever tiring of the film."
‑ Douglas Pratt, DVDLaser
"In this film the scenery is lovely and only the human race is vile."
‑ Robert J. Landry, Variety
"What has happened to Midnight Cowboy is that we've done our own editing job on it. We've forgotten the excesses and the detours, and remembered the purity of the central characters and the Voight and Hoffman performances."
"[A] tawdry, strident yet deeply affecting tale."
‑ Alan Jones, Radio Times
""Midnight Cowboy" is an exquisite time capsule. The film is filled with dark social and political commentary. Only through his problematic friendship with Ratzo can Buck reclaim his humanity."
‑ Cole Smithey, ColeSmithey.com
"An impressive and enduring evocation of time and place, this is a moving low-life drama built around Oscar-winning writing and performances."
‑ Jon Fortgang, Film4