Morirse esta en Hebreo (My Mexican Shivah)
Morirse esta en Hebreo (My Mexican Shivah)
The passing of a Mexican Jew whose appetite for life was stronger than his spiritual discipline makes for a difficult set of funeral arrangements in this comedy from filmmaker Alejandro Springall. Moishe (Sergio Klainer) was a happy-go-lucky guy living in Mexico City's Jewish quarter until the day he died -- appropriately enough while dancing at a party for a local Hebrew theater troupe. While Moishe was a man with plenty of friends, most of the folks he left behind to arrange his funeral don't have much good to say for him. Moishe's daughter, Esther (Raquel Pankowsky), has long… More

"My Mexican Shivah kvetches its way through an insipid vision of cross-cultural conflict."
‑ Ed Gonzalez, Village Voice
"Repurposing clichés as springboards to deeper issues...[director Springall] reminds us that ritual can ease reconciliation, and that sometimes even meat and dairy can get along."
‑ Jeannette Catsoulis, New York Times
"Being neither Mexican nor Jewish, I imagine I'm the perfect audience for the chaotically cross-cultural ethnography farce of My Mexican Shivah."
‑ Eric Henderson, Slant Magazine
"Despite wacky klezmer music on the soundtrack, nothing terribly amusing or unpredictable happens."
‑ Kyle Smith, New York Post
"Alejandro Springall's My Mexican Shivah is another of the recent examples of the Jewish Diaspora absorbed in the preservation of its identity and its rituals in countries around the world."
‑ Andrew Sarris, New York Observer
"Who needs subtitles when you can speak the universal language of stereotypes?"
‑ Elizabeth Weitzman, New York Daily News
"An altogether charming study of a dysfunctional (what else!) Jewish family in Mexico City."
‑ Louis Proyect, rec.arts.movies.reviews