Mr. Death: The Rise and Fall of Fred A. Leuchter, Jr.
Mr. Death: The Rise and Fall of Fred A. Leuchter, Jr.
Throughout his work, documentary filmmaker Errol Morris has sought out characters lost in their own eccentric worlds, and he has managed to convey their sense of wonder with their passion, be it a topiary gardener arguing the merits of hand shears in Fast, Cheap & Out of Control (1997) or astrophysicist Stephen Hawking discussing the origin of the universe in A Brief History of Time (1992). In his most provocative work since The Thin Blue Line (1988), Morris details what happens when this interior dreamscape collides with the hard facts of history. As a young man accompanying his father to… More

"Morris, com sua habilidade narrativa habitual, conta a interessante mas incômoda história de um homem destruído pela própria ignorância."
‑ Pablo Villaca, Cinema em Cena
"As Errol Morris shows us how this strange little man got into the execution business and Holocaust denial, we should ask ourselves: Did we create 'Mr. Death'? Is he us?"
‑ Joshua Tanzer, Offoffoff
"...probes at our moral and psychological blind spots, at the limited and self-reinforcing nature of our vision."
‑ Tom Block, culturevulture.net
"This documentary offers one of the most pertinent looks at two highly charged emotional subjects: capital punishment and the Holocaust."
"Morris' most potent film."
‑ Jeffrey M. Anderson, Combustible Celluloid
"Fascinating stuff."
‑ Mark Robison, Reno Gazette-Journal
"Unsettling documentary is a gripping study of the banality of evil."
‑ James Rocchi, Netflix
"The filmmaker deftly steers the viewer through its more disturbing sequences and even finds room for his patented irony."
‑ Ed Kelleher, Film Journal International
"A riveting movie."
‑ David Sterritt, Christian Science Monitor
"Morris uses montages of expert testimony, neo Nazis, Holocaust activists, and forensic scientists along with wacky interview footage to give a truly intimate picture"
‑ John A. Nesbit, Old School Reviews
"Despite its morbid subject, this documentary is far funnier than one would expect."
‑ James O'Ehley, Movie Gurus
"A bizarre documentary about the worship of technique and the dangers of self-delusion."
‑ Frederic and Mary Ann Brussat, Spirituality and Practice
"Errol Morris cements his reputation as the premier contemporary documentary filmmaker."
‑ Michael Dequina, TheMovieReport.com
"a valuable addition to the cultural landscape"
‑ Robert Strohmeyer, Filmcritic.com