My Architect: A Son's Journey
Louis Kahn, a giant among twentieth-century architects, left a legacy of brilliantly designed and engineered buildings that have a tough beauty and deep spirit. His work challenges us to discover an astonishing sensibility and poetry through light, space, and texture. Kahn's personal life was even more mysterious, and his death, alone and unidentified in Penn Station in 1974, revealed that he led not a double but a triple life, shuttling between his legitimate family and two women and the children they bore him. One of these, his son Nathaniel, takes us on a personal journey to consider… More

"The young Kahn is not a graceful filmmaker. Yet the subject matter is engrossing for anyone interested in architecture and also one of its greatest practitioners."
‑ Richard Nilsen, Arizona Republic
"The finest achievement of My Architect is the way the son locates the light of his father's personality."
‑ Lisa Kennedy, Denver Post
"Overall [Nathaniel Kahn's] attempt to find his father in his buildings, scars and all, is credible and well-paced, with neat visual rhymes that circle back to points raised earlier."
‑ Robert Davis, Paste Magazine
"The film becomes a conversation between the living and the dead, trying to reconcile professional genius and personal failure."
‑ Jeffrey Bruner, Des Moines Register
"The film would have been more powerful if it had conveyed a better understanding of what made Kahn's buildings great. If a bit long, the film is always intriguing."
‑ Mark R. Leeper, rec.arts.movies.reviews
"Isn't a bad place to begin if you're curious about architecture and don't know much about Louis Kahn."
‑ Jay Boyar, Orlando Sentinel
"It is a stunning work that captures with elegance -- and touches of lyricism -- the challenge of finding the man through the artist."
‑ Marta Barber, Miami Herald
"What makes this movie riveting is not its subject, but the huge hole evident in the biographer's soul, a space he desperately tries to fill by speaking with those once close to his father."
‑ Kam Williams, Princeton Town Topics
"We are powerfully gripped by Lou's life and work, but we're never as moved by Nathaniel's quest as we clearly should be."
‑ Rich Cline, Shadows on the Wall
"A very warm, lyrical, humorous, moving and insightful film."
"By the end of My Architect, Kahn has learned that the central contradiction of his father's life can't be resolved -- and that realization becomes the filmmaker's solace and the film's triumph."
‑ Robert Denerstein, Denver Rocky Mountain News
"My Architect contrasts personal history and public legacy to captivating effect."
‑ Geoff Pevere, Toronto Star
"Fascinating -- if somewhat overlong -- documentary."
‑ Ken Hanke, Mountain Xpress (Asheville, NC)
"Fascinating and engaging."
‑ Bob Wagner, KXLT-FM (Boise, ID)
"makes its mark on the cinematic landscape as a fitting memorial-to Louis Kahn specifically, and to the artistic spirit in a more universal sense"
‑ John A. Nesbit, Old School Reviews