My Best Friend (Mon meilleur ami)
My Best Friend (Mon meilleur ami)
François is a middle-aged antique dealer. He has a stylish apartment and a fabulous life, but at a dinner with a group he considers his dearest acquaintances, he is blindsided by the revelation that none of them actually likes him. He's arrogant, self-centered and harsh, and they don't believe he knows the meaning of friendship. His business partner Catherine makes him a bet: if he can produce his best friend, she will let him keep the massive Greek vase he acquired that afternoon on the company tab. If not, it's hers. Having accepted the wager, François naively tears through his… More

"Patrice Leconte has taken a story about male friendship, in all its posturing and potential vulnerability, and turned it into a light, smart, crowd-pleasing comedy."
‑ Christy Lemire, Associated Press
"It's better when it's threatening, but Leconte knows his audience."
‑ David Edelstein, New York Magazine/Vulture
"This is a movie that sneaks up on you and grabs your heart before you know it. I would want to watch it with my best friend."
‑ Cherryl Dawson and Leigh Ann Palone, TheMovieChicks.com
"A wonderful, rare film that portrays one of the most under-represented but universal human neuroses: the desire for friendship or platonic love."
‑ Brett McCracken, Christianity Today
"Daniel Auteuil is reliable as usual."
‑ Harvey S. Karten, Compuserve
"Auteuil and Boon's appealing performances keep the film engaging throughout, but it's easy to pine for a dark, challenging film with this premise, pitched more toward a harrowing emotional reckoning than this film's ambiguous but inevitable happy ending."
‑ Nathan Rabin, AV Club
"A sweetly surprising treatise on friendship."
‑ Roger Moore, Orlando Sentinel
"French though it may be, My Best Friend effectively addresses what is a universal human condition."
‑ Don Willmott, Filmcritic.com
"Few films so directly address the question of friendship, the nature of friendship, and, most of all, the illusion that our acquaintances and our friends are the same thing."
‑ Ken Hanke, Mountain Xpress (Asheville, NC)
"If sex, gangsters, and killing Nazis are three of the most enlivening topics in the movies, then let us count friendship as one of the most tiresome, right up there with grooming horses and sharing for sheer thrills."
‑ Josh Rosenblatt, Austin Chronicle
"One looks to Leconte for some of the finest, most sophisticated and compassionate filmmaking coming out of France, not for a situation comedy."
‑ Kirk Honeycutt, Hollywood Reporter
"Leconte has crafted an at once thoughtful, engaging, lighthearted, and melancholic entertainment about loneliness and friendship"
‑ Marlow Stern, Manhattan Movie Magazine
"It isn't always believable, but it is entertaining and funny, with an edge to it."
‑ Robert Roten, Laramie Movie Scope
"You might well find it very silly, but it grew on me, and it's certainly based on an interesting premise."
‑ Peter Bradshaw, Guardian
"Patrice Leconte's latest is a little light and a little telegraphed, but still quite enjoyable."
‑ Jon Popick, Planet Sick-Boy