My Best Friend (Mon meilleur ami)
My Best Friend (Mon meilleur ami)
A businessman tries to belatedly learn the fine art of friendship in this comedy from French filmmaker Patrice Leconte. François (Daniel Auteuil) is an antique dealer who runs an upscale shop with his business partner, Catherine (Julie Gayet). François is a gently ruthless trader who will do nearly anything to make a deal, and when Catherine throws him a birthday party, someone points out that all the guests are business associates, not personal friends. While François protests that he does indeed have friends, Catherine calls him on it and makes him a deal -- if he can produce his best friend… More

"Patrice Leconte has taken a story about male friendship, in all its posturing and potential vulnerability, and turned it into a light, smart, crowd-pleasing comedy."
‑ Christy Lemire, Associated Press
"A sweetly surprising treatise on friendship."
‑ Roger Moore, Orlando Sentinel
"This is a movie that sneaks up on you and grabs your heart before you know it. I would want to watch it with my best friend."
‑ Cherryl Dawson and Leigh Ann Palone, TheMovieChicks.com
"A wonderful, rare film that portrays one of the most under-represented but universal human neuroses: the desire for friendship or platonic love."
‑ Brett McCracken, Christianity Today
"Daniel Auteuil is reliable as usual."
‑ Harvey S. Karten, Compuserve
"One looks to Leconte for some of the finest, most sophisticated and compassionate filmmaking coming out of France, not for a situation comedy."
‑ Kirk Honeycutt, Hollywood Reporter
"Although Leconte allows for a certain warmth to run through the film, he thankfully stays away from sentimentality. Therein lays the charm."
‑ Marta Barber, Miami Herald
"French though it may be, My Best Friend effectively addresses what is a universal human condition."
‑ Don Willmott, Filmcritic.com
"Few films so directly address the question of friendship, the nature of friendship, and, most of all, the illusion that our acquaintances and our friends are the same thing."
‑ Ken Hanke, Mountain Xpress (Asheville, NC)
"If sex, gangsters, and killing Nazis are three of the most enlivening topics in the movies, then let us count friendship as one of the most tiresome, right up there with grooming horses and sharing for sheer thrills."
‑ Josh Rosenblatt, Austin Chronicle
"It's better when it's threatening, but Leconte knows his audience."
‑ David Edelstein, New York Magazine
"Leconte has crafted an at once thoughtful, engaging, lighthearted, and melancholic entertainment about loneliness and friendship"
‑ Marlow Stern, Manhattan Movie Magazine
"It isn't always believable, but it is entertaining and funny, with an edge to it."
‑ Robert Roten, Laramie Movie Scope
"You might well find it very silly, but it grew on me, and it's certainly based on an interesting premise."
‑ Peter Bradshaw, Guardian [UK]
"Auteuil and Boon's appealing performances keep the film engaging throughout, but it's easy to pine for a dark, challenging film with this premise, pitched more toward a harrowing emotional reckoning than this film's ambiguous but inevitable happy ending."
‑ Nathan Rabin, AV Club