My Big Fat Greek Wedding
My Big Fat Greek Wedding
One woman's rocky road to the altar gets played for laughs in this comedy, adapted from the one-woman off-Broadway show written by and starring Nia Vardalos. Toula (Vardalos) is a Greek-American woman who is in her early thirties and single, with no immediate prospects of changing that status any time soon. This bothers Toula a bit, but not half as much as it distresses her mother (Lainie Kazan) and father (Michael Constantine), who want to send her to Greece in hopes of finding a husband in the old country. Toula isn't interested in leaving the country to find a man, but since she… More

"Second City alum Nia Vardalos stars in this ethnic comedy, which she also wrote -- an ambitious way to break into a leading role; too bad the results are insubstantial."
‑ Joshua Rothkopf, Chicago Reader
"My Big Fat Greek Wedding is a very slim movie that succeeds on its own modest terms without pretense or apology. No wonder it's easy to like."
‑ Rick Groen, Globe and Mail
"A captivating comedy with a heart of gold, My Big Fat Greek Wedding is a must-see for its sheer unbridled delightfulness. An Amelie for 2002?"
‑ , Film4
"It offers the illusion of originality by bombarding audiences with Greek stereotypes, but really clings to the formulaic romance comedy."
"It's funny, it's familiar and you can see a lot of the situations transferring over to your own life."
‑ Ryan Cracknell, Apollo Guide
"The result feels a little over-egged at times and the love match lacks chemistry, but Ian's whistlestop induction into a different style of language, food, drink, dress and dancing allows a few good one-liners."
‑ , Time Out
"The movie is consistently funny without ever going over the top -- a rarity in movies."
‑ James Berardinelli, ReelViews
"Perfect sleepover movie for tweens (and moms!)."
‑ Nell Minow, Common Sense Media
"Ms. Vardalos' has loaded her charmingly fluffy script with cute idiosyncrasies in place of actual characters."
‑ Joe Lozito, Big Picture Big Sound
"It is a romantic comedy in the best classic Hollywood style, albeit one with some sharp writing and genuinely human as well as funny moments."
‑ Andrea Chase, Killer Movie Reviews
"You don't have to be Greek to enjoy My Big Fat Greek Wedding, and that's precisely the point of it."
‑ Peter Howell, Toronto Star
"The reliability of the genre doesn't excuse predictable jokes, pat fiascoes and so many stereotypes that one is tempted to alert the Greek anti-defamation league."
‑ Loren King, Chicago Tribune
"It's greek to me."
‑ Rob Nelson, City Pages, Minneapolis/St. Paul
"Endearing eccentricities, such as Toula's father's improvisational Greek etymologies of words like "kimono" and his reliance on Windex for a range of external-use medicinal purposes, help humanize the characters."
‑ Steven D. Greydanus, Decent Films Guide
"Vardalos is not a great actress, but she is a likeable one ... John Corbett will never steer you wrong ... a cute premise, but it has all been done before"
‑ Brian Mckay, eFilmCritic.com