My Bodyguard
This quietly compelling film explores the hardships and anxieties of high school with intelligence, sensitivity, warmth and humor. Chris Makepeace stars as a shy, bookish student who has recently moved to Chicago and begun a new school. There he finds himself the target of a group of punks led by Matt Dillon (ideally cast as the weasel-like bully), who threaten him each day to turn over his lunch money for protection...or else. When he stands up to them, he nearly loses his dental work before being saved by Ricky Lindemann (Adam Baldwin), a hulking loner rumored to have murdered his own… More

Subscription
Stream Now

"In his directorial debut, Tony Bill assembles a truly remarkable cast of youngsters with little or no previous acting experience."
‑ Variety Staff, Variety
"This movie is fun to watch because it touches memories that are shared by most of us, and because its young characters are recognizable individuals, and not simplified cartoon figures like so many movie teen-agers."
"Coming of age story still relevant and engaging."
‑ Randy White, Common Sense Media
"Does the typical "spiritual uplift" routine without feeling saccharine or insincere."
‑ Scott Weinberg, eFilmCritic.com
"The film has some merit as a teen revenge fantasy."
‑ Bill Chambers, Film Freak Central
"A film of ingredients, rather than ideas realized and integrated: it panders on different, disjunctive levels."
‑ Dave Kehr, Chicago Reader
"A sweet little movie about characters who really seem to be people, and that sort of verisimilitude is rarer than it ought to be nowadays."
‑ Janet Maslin, New York Times
"Makepeace is excellent as the slight protagonist, and Baldwin is perfect as the brooding, misunderstood mammoth."
‑ , TV Guide's Movie Guide
"Twenty years after the fact, My Bodyguard holds up quite well."
‑ Mike DeWolfe, Apollo Guide
"The message that accompanies the central theme -- Kids are basically Nice -- is that Brute Force Rules."
‑ Derek Adams, Time Out
"That's why I keep coming back to My Bodyguard: It continually reveals new layers of truth about what it's really like to be a teenager, whether an outcast, a bully or the bullied."
‑ Christopher Lloyd, Sarasota Herald-Tribune
"Pah-lease...so goofy"
‑ Emily Blunt, Blunt Review
"With affecting performances from Chris Makepeace, Adam Baldwin, and Matt Dillon, this film probes the traumas and challenges of youth."
‑ Frederic and Mary Ann Brussat, Spirituality and Practice