My Boyfriend's Back
My Boyfriend's Back
Actor Bob Balaban directed this black comedy for Disney concerning a young zombie's love for a pretty high school girl. Johnny Dingle (Andrew Lowery) is a sweet-natured soul who has been in love with Missy McCloud (Traci Lind) ever since first grade, but he's always been reluctant to ask her out, fearing rejection. Now that the high school prom is coming, he devises a plan to make Missy say yes when he musters up the courage to ask her to the dance. Johnny and his pal Eddie (Danny Zorn) concoct a plan that will make it look as if Johnny saves her life. Unfortunately, Johnny's plan… More

"The movie is full of nonsensical plot twists, embarrassingly broad performances and unappealing characters."
‑ Mark Caro, Chicago Tribune
"My Boyfriend's Back is obviously aiming for the subversive high school yuks of 1989's Heathers, but the story line never bothers to make sense."
‑ Ty Burr, Entertainment Weekly
"As naff and dreadful as the title suggests."
‑ Lorien Haynes, Radio Times
"Better he should've stayed away."
‑ Ken Hanke, Mountain Xpress (Asheville, NC)
"My Boyfriend's Back is one of the year's worst films, an idiotic spoof of zombie movies that wants desperately to be on a par with Monty Python but doesn't have the nerve -- much less the laughs."
‑ Chris Hicks, Deseret News, Salt Lake City
"An awful teen horror comedy."
‑ Kevin Thomas, Los Angeles Times
"Napkin-thin pic starts falling apart in the first reel."
‑ Variety Staff, Variety
"My Boyfriend`s Back is the lamest of the lame so far."
‑ Candice Russell, South Florida Sun-Sentinel
"The movie they ought to play at all future Philip Seymour Hoffman roasts"
‑ Pete Vonder Haar, Film Threat
"A parody of a cliché with a lousy ending and sub-par zombie effects."
‑ Marc Savlov, Austin Chronicle
"Simply put, absolutely none of it works. The movie utterly fails to set a foundation for its dark fantasy, effectively turning every character into a moron."
‑ Jeff Shannon, Seattle Times
"If My Boyfriend's Back is an irredeemably silly movie, it has an engaging lightness of tone and uniformly impeccable performances by a cast that maintains just the right attitude of deadpan parody."
‑ Stephen Holden, New York Times
"Even viewers able to get past the disturbing setup of the film's critical plot element will find an uneven mess of under-realized ideas and overdone grotesqueries."
‑ Steve McKerrow, Baltimore Sun
"I've always had a soft spot for this one. I think it's pretty darn funny!"
‑ Scott Weinberg, eFilmCritic.com