My Brother
"My Brother" is an inner city story of two impoverished boys, brothers from different fathers. One brother, James, is developmentally disabled, but functional. The other, Isaiah, was told by his mother to always watch over his brother. Their unwavering bond, however, gets put to the test when one brother, who's trying to get free of an oppressive debt, falls prey to ruthless men.

Buy SD $9.99 Rent SD $2.99
- -

"A moralistic black drama that makes its points with a heavy hand and unconvincing story developments."
‑ Kirk Honeycutt, Hollywood Reporter
"My Brother is a brave little film, with the emphasis on little. Shot on a shoestring, it lacks the polish of many indie efforts but compensates with bold casting and a big heart."
‑ Bruce Westbrook, Houston Chronicle
"Has no shortage of heart, but it has been so clumsily organized and falls back so often on clichéd storytelling that any early goodwill quickly morphs into resentment."
‑ Robert W. Butler, Kansas City Star
"A young man takes an awfully long time to discover what the audience already knows -- that his disabled brother is the most precious thing in his life -- in My Brother."
‑ Peter Debruge, Variety
"My Brother is brimming with would-be life lessons. But the movie goes in so many directions, and follows through on so few of them, that all it transmits is a vague glow. It's watered-down chicken soup for the soul."
‑ Sam Adams, Los Angeles Times
"Story loses momentum in a wave of heavy-handed messages."
‑ Maitland McDonagh, TV Guide's Movie Guide
"Its earnest tone, moving orchestral score and strong cast carry it past the rough patches."
‑ Matt Zoller Seitz, New York Times
"What starts as a taut urban crime drama quickly sags into lurid after-school-special sentimentality."
‑ Ann Hornaday, Washington Post
"A moving and meaningful melodrama about a blood bond tested by the trials and tribulations of trying to survive in the inner-city."
‑ Kam Williams, AALBC.com