My Country, My Country
Americans are offered the unique opportunity to experience the U.S. occupation of Iraq from an insider's perspective in this documentary detailing the efforts of a devoted father and Sunni Muslim political candidate to better his country during the 2005 elections. As the U.S. government attempts to bring democracy to Iraq, Baghdad native Dr. Riyadh is faced with making the difficult decision of supporting the popular boycott of the elections, or fighting for a democracy that seems ever more unlikely with each passing day. With intimate footage of Dr. Riyadh's interactions with the… More

"A compelling report."
‑ Bill Stamets, Chicago Sun-Times
"What My Country, My Country does best is show us that while both the Americans and the Iraqis care about the country's future, their cultural backgrounds and world views inevitably make them seem alien to each other."
‑ Kenneth Turan, Los Angeles Times
"Powerful and moving."
‑ Amber Wilkinson, Eye for Film
"The documentary maintains an observant distance from the sweep of history, and even the elections."
‑ Cynthia Fuchs, PopMatters
"The camera should never leave the four walls of the Riyad family home. Beyond that story, there is a dullness to the pacing and the wider tale of the Iraqi elections."
‑ Laura Kelly, South Florida Sun-Sentinel
"A memorable portrait of a nation's growing pains."
‑ Michael Wilmington, Chicago Tribune
"Remarkable."
‑ Ella Taylor, L.A. Weekly
"Part of the problem with the film, though, is that some of the scenes with the doctor and his family and the doctor and his patients have a staged feel to them -- as if, they were also putting on a "show.""
‑ Ted Murphy, Murphy's Movie Reviews
"Poitras creates a vivid portrait of Iraqi civilians siding with neither the U.S. occupation nor the insurgents but just looking for the killing to end."
‑ Sean Means, Salt Lake Tribune
"Despite some flaws--docu doesn't illustrate the political backdrop or explains where the Sunis fit vis-a-vis the Kurds, Shia, Arbas--Poitras' feature is essential in venturing into new grounds that no journalists or directors have previously explored"
‑ Emanuel Levy, EmanuelLevy.Com
"In 90 captivating minutes, Laura Poitras' extraordinary documentary My Country, My Country gives you a greater understanding of the situation in Iraq than you'd get from 100 hours of Fox News or CNN."
‑ Jeff Shannon, Seattle Times
"... sobering documentary ..."
‑ Walter V. Addiego, San Francisco Chronicle
"Poitras demonstrates fine judgement in making Dr. Riyadh the central focus of her well-detailed story."
‑ Jules Brenner, Cinema Signals
"... day-to-day life under occupation where citizens still live without power... and extremist rebels wage a campaign of intimidation against Iraqis and Americans alike."
‑ Sean Axmaker, Seattle Post-Intelligencer
"The film delivers powerful images of a country mired in chaos, where explosions, gunfire, power outages and unrest rule the day, leading to a national despondency that understandably fails to rise above the endemic suffering and daily death."
‑ Glenn Whipp, Los Angeles Daily News