My Cousin Vinny
When sweet Northern college kid Bill (Ralph Macchio) and his buddy Stan (Mitchell Whitfield) are picked up and thrown into the slammer in a hick Southern town, at first it looks like no big deal. Then they are informed that they are accused of murder. Penniless and without a single friend in the area, Bill decides to call his goofy cousin Vinny (Joe Pesci), who has somehow recently become a lawyer. Full of family feeling and bravado, Vinny, who has never tried a criminal case in his short life as a lawyer, rides south to defend his trusting relative. He's an expert motormouth and… More

"With such canny scene-stealers as Gwynne, Smith, Pendleton, McGill and Chaykin filling out the cast, it is very hard for My Cousin Vinny to go wrong, and indeed, for the purpose of pleasant Saturday night entertainment, it does not."
‑ Dave Kehr, Chicago Tribune
"As Vincent Gambini, a swaggering pint-sized New York lawyer who only recently passed the bar on his sixth try, Pesci modulates his usual psycho-nuttiness and gives it some recognizably human, even melancholy, undertones."
‑ Peter Rainer, Los Angeles Times
"The regional stereotypes in Dale Launer's broad script aren't so laudable, but the on-screen talent merits a retrial: Tomei talks up a storm and Pesci terrorises thinly spread gags into near-shape."
‑ Kevin Harley, Total Film
"[An] enjoyable fish-out-of-water comedy."
‑ Joanna Berry, Radio Times
"As comedies go, My Cousin Vinny is nothing special, but it has a nice, cartoony vitality."
‑ , People Magazine
"Marisa Tomei, as Vinny's fiancée, imbues the most obligatory reactions with either a startling ferocity or a farcical ambiguity worthy of her character's name: Mona Lisa Vito."
‑ Michael Sragow, New Yorker
"Nothing makes a moviegoer feel more isolated than sitting stony-faced through a comedy that makes the rest of the audience laugh and cheer."
‑ Richard Corliss, TIME Magazine
"For all of its grossly stereotypical characterizations and cheap laughs, My Cousin Vinny does benefit from Pesci's characteristically energetic performance. And co-star Tomei looks very nice in a clinging blue dress with gold lame applique."
‑ Gary Thompson, Philadelphia Daily News
"The screenplay by Dale Launer has all the sophomoric qualities of a C- grade TV movie."
‑ Candice Russell, South Florida Sun-Sentinel
"Marisa Tomei won the Supporting Actress Oscar for this shallow but mildly enjoybale fish-out-of-water comedy, playing Joe Pesci's street smart girlfriend."
‑ Emanuel Levy, EmanuelLevy.Com
"The movie sags as Vinny sets out to demolish the patently shaky case and dubious witnesses for the prosecution. Pesci does his best, but a lawyer's suit on him becomes a straitjacket."
‑ Desmond Ryan, Philadelphia Inquirer
"The pacing is brisk and the energy of the performances is so palpable that even at its silliest and most contrived, the film is enjoyable."
‑ Michael Upchurch, Seattle Times
"I don't want to oversell My Cousin Vinny. It's hardly brilliant. But it's easygoing and occasionally quite funny and ultimately satisfying."
‑ Stephen Hunter, Baltimore Sun
"Joe Pesci has more energy than charm in the title role, but the supporting cast has some terrific moments, and the comedy supplies a fair number of laughs before running completely out of steam."
‑ David Sterritt, Christian Science Monitor
"Apart from Pesci being too old for the part as written, My Cousin Vinny holds up pretty well."
‑ Scott Nash, Three Movie Buffs