My Fellow Americans
My Fellow Americans
In this comedy, Russell P. Kramer (Jack Lemmon) and Matt Douglas (James Garner) are two former U.S. Presidents who sit on opposite sides of the political fence. Kramer is a stuffy Republican reluctant to part with a dollar, while Douglas is a left-leaning Democrat with an eye for the ladies. Douglas succeeded Kramer in office after a single term, while Douglas, after four years as chief executive, lost to his former running mate William Haney (Dan Aykroyd). When the facts about a bribery scheme in Haney's administration threaten to surface and destroy his reputation, the ruthless president… More

"Using talent of this order on a script this weak, along with merely decorative appearances by the likes of Lauren Bacall and Wilford Brimley, amounts to the Hollywood equivalent of government waste."
‑ Desmond Ryan, Philadelphia Inquirer
"I'd cheerfully vote the writers, director and producers of My Fellow Americans out of office."
‑ Joe Morgenstern, Wall Street Journal
"If My Fellow Americans had ever decided which movie it wanted to be, it might have been pretty good. As it is, the good half and the bad half all but cancel each other out."
‑ Stephen Hunter, Baltimore Sun
"The surprise of this comedy... is how sharply written it is -- almost sharply enough to overcome the crude direction that grotesquely overemphasizes the picture's inevitable sentimental interludes."
‑ , TV Guide's Movie Guide
"Garner and Jack Lemmon have enough charisma, and there are enough solid laughs, to mostly overcome My Fellow Americans' embarrassing moments and improbable ending."
‑ Stephen Thompson, AV Club
"As political satire, My Fellow Americans makes a poor candidate."
‑ Jay Boyar, Orlando Sentinel
"The movie suggests we get the government we deserve, but do we really deserve this movie?"
‑ Michael Wilmington, Chicago Tribune
"If only movies could be impeached."
‑ Gary Thompson, Philadelphia Daily News
"Okay, so it's Midnight Run meets All The President's Men, but the Lemmon-Garner rapport is dynamite and the glittering support cast of Lauren Bacall, Dan Aykroyd and John Heard are given sparkling dialogue."
‑ Jake Hamilton, Empire Magazine
"Strained and obvious political comedy that wastes some really great actors."
‑ Scott Weinberg, eFilmCritic.com
"Yes, it's Grumpy Old Presidents, in which most of the comedy comes from the supposed shock of hearing two senior citizens cursing at each other in terms Beavis and Butt-head would find inelegant."
‑ Dave Kehr, New York Daily News
"It takes a special actor's grace to survive a script as lame as My Fellow Americans, and James Garner has it. Without appearing to break a sweat, Garner makes each grotesquely desperate attempt at humor look smooth and assured."
‑ John Hartl, Seattle Times
"Mostly, My Fellow Americans is solidly written, offbeat entertainment well-served by the fine leads, clever casting of supporting roles and a script that holds together, even through a less-than-stellar finale."
‑ Roger Hurlburt, South Florida Sun-Sentinel
"Peter Segal's comedy has a few witty moments surrounded by a lot of silliness."
‑ David Sterritt, Christian Science Monitor
"Garner and Lemmon's chemistry save the film."
‑ Alex Sandell, Juicy Cerebellum