My Left Foot
An alternative to the general run of "triumph over the odds" biopics, My Left Foot is the true story of Irish cerebral palsy victim Christy Brown. Paralyzed from birth, Brown (played by Hugh O'Conor as child and Daniel Day-Lewis as an adult) is written off as retarded and helpless. But Christy's indomitable mother (Brenda Fricker) never gives up on the boy. Using his left foot, the only part of his body not afflicted, Brown learns to write. He grows up to become a well-known author, painter, and fundraiser, and along the way falls in love with nurse Mary Carr (Ruth McCabe).… More

"All performances are on the mark in this perfect little film."
‑ Variety Staff, Variety
"An intelligent, beautifully acted adaptation of Christy Brown's first book."
‑ Vincent Canby, New York Times
"A fairly generic biopic with an amazing turn by Daniel Day-Lewis."
‑ Wesley Lovell, Cinema Sight
"Even if all My Left Foot had to offer was Day-Lewis's performance, it'd be a must-see movie."
‑ , Film4
"Much of the pricelessness of My Left Foot comes from Daniel Day-Lewis's spot-on portrayal of Brown, the first acting job that made critics and awards voters really take notice of him."
‑ Christopher Null, Filmcritic.com
"For all his character's travails the film as a whole winds up surprisingly upbeat."
‑ Jonathan Rosenbaum, Chicago Reader
"My Left Foot is a great film for many reasons, but the most important is that it gives us such a complete picture of this man's life."
"Deviating from the standard Hollywood biopic, Sheridan's chronicle told with candor, realism, and humor the story of paraplegic writer-artist Christy Brown, embodied in a tour-de-force Oscar-winning performance by Daniel Day-Lewis."
‑ Emanuel Levy, EmanuelLevy.Com
"Nothing can detract from the power of this film, especially Daniel Day-Lewis' astonishing performance as Christy Brown."
‑ Urban Cinefile Critics, Urban Cinefile
"A rich cinematic experience, this uplifting British production will leave you in awe of the extraordinary Christy Brown."
‑ , TV Guide's Movie Guide
"Day Lewis' re-creation of writer/painter Christy Brown's condition is so precise, so detailed and so matter-of-fact that it transcends the carping about casting an actor without cerebral palsy."
‑ , Time Out
"Not only does Day-Lewis master the physical aspects of the role, the minute-to-minute struggle of almost complete paralysis, he lives the painful genesis of an artistic character."
‑ Desson Thomson, Washington Post
"[The film] leaves one with an overwhelming sense of the miraculousness of life and of this man's spirit."
‑ Angie Errigo, Empire Magazine
"Daniel Day-Lewis gives a startling, dazzling performance."
‑ Jeffrey M. Anderson, Combustible Celluloid
"This wonderful film, perfect in setting the scene of the era and locale, could not be a better story of hope and inspiration."
‑ Diana Saenger, ReelTalk Movie Reviews