My Life in Ruins
My Life in Ruins
Georgia (Nia Vardalos) came to Greece to follow a man. A few years later, she's been cast aside -- alone and adrift in a foreign land. Eventually, her passion for history leads her to a job as a tour guide. But Georgia is bored, and has lost her "kefi" (Greek for mojo) to boot. When taciturn sasquatch Poupi (Alexis Georgoulis) replaces the regular driver at the last minute, the frazzled tour guide thinks that her luck has just hit rock bottom. Thankfully, Georgia's latest batch of tourists is a more lively bunch than she's anticipated, and in between bouts with rival tour… More

"Hollywood doesn't know what to do with difference, any more than it does with ruins. It's about time Vardalos, or someone, gave the suits a guided tour."
‑ Nina Caplan, Time Out
"You know precisely where it's headed and how it will get there halfway into Act One."
‑ Ben Mankiewicz, At the Movies
"With its portrait of cranky, uninterested tourists, rowdy Aussies, fat Yanks, dingy hotels, shady merchants and busted buses, Ruins feels like somebody's personal vendetta against the travel industry."
‑ Corey Hall, Metro Times (Detroit, MI)
"The story is loaded with cliches and weak characters that are simply too annoying to handle."
‑ Kevin Carr, 7M Pictures
"Leave it to Hollywood to take a bad idea and make it terrible."
‑ Rubin Safaya, Cinemalogue.com
"As a laughing-through-tears jokester tourist, Richard Dreyfuss provides the only moments of real acting, as opposed to overacting, mugging, and scenery chomping."
‑ Peter Rainer, Christian Science Monitor
"My Life in Ruins will neither ruin nor change nor significantly impact your life."
‑ Michael Phillips, Chicago Tribune
"A cloying romantic comedy."
‑ Leah Rozen, People Magazine
"My Big Fat Greek Coach Full of Clichés."
‑ Don Groves, sbs.com.au
"Nia Vardalos is as charming and watchable as ever but this is cliche ridden fluff."
‑ Liz Beardsworth, Empire Magazine
"It doesn't feel genuine at all, it feels contrived from start to finish."
‑ Ben Lyons, At the Movies
"Defiantly square and focus-group engineered to appeal to those harboring a soft spot for "My Big Fat Greek Wedding," the Nia Vardalos vehicle My Life in Ruins doesn't do Greece or its star many favors."
‑ Glenn Whipp, Los Angeles Times
"As a tour guide, Georgia rates as "average," as a movie star Vardalos rates much the same."
‑ Jason Buchanan, TV Guide's Movie Guide
"Vardalos is fine, but Petrie and writer Mike Reiss yoke her to an ossified formula in which various national stereotypes (and the character actors who play them) embarrass themselves in bazaars and at Greek temples."
‑ Betsy Sherman, Boston Phoenix
"As the end of the road finally draws near, you'll need to pull over and throw up."
‑ Stella Papamichael, Film4