My Life Without Me
Isabel Coixet's Mi vida sin mi (My Life Without Me) is a tale of a woman dying before her time. Sarah Polley plays Ann, a 24-year-old mother of two. Ann is married to Don (Scott Speedman), and they live near Ann's mother (Deborah Harry), who is bitter about the fact that Ann's father is serving a ten-year prison sentence. Ann learns that she has only a few months to live. She makes a series of goals to complete before her time on Earth comes to an end. Among her accomplishments are taking a lover (Mark Ruffalo), finding someone to care for Don, and recording birthday greetings for… More

"My Life Without Me is not a gentle film. Insistent and unforgettable, it wounds on the inside, and the scars feel fresh for some time."
‑ Sarah Kaufman, Washington Post
"A good example of how Polley elevates nearly everything in which she appears."
‑ Terry Lawson, Detroit Free Press
"Polley gives an outstanding performance..."
"(...) Una de las películas más hermosas que se hayan filmado sobre eso tan extraño y tan temido que es el tiempo que queda antes de morir."
‑ Enrique Buchichio, Uruguay Total
"This is a film for people who like to cry, and there's a contrived element that's inherent to the beautiful-death genre. Still, Polley is the film's saving grace..."
‑ Matt Kelemen, Las Vegas CityLife
"Coixet doesn't make her lead character compelling, or likable."
‑ Randy Cordova, Arizona Republic
"Polley's performance is pitch-perfect, and that the world described herein -- glazed with humor as well as melancholy -- is devoid of phony sentiment."
‑ Steven Rea, Philadelphia Inquirer
"A gigantically amoral cliche of a film."
‑ Boyd van Hoeij, european-films.net
"A grande força (do filme) reside na poderosa performance da jovem Sarah Polley."
‑ Pablo Villaca, Cinema em Cena
"Plagued by phony poetic moments and self-conscious quirkiness (Maria de Medeiros appears as a braid-wearing hair stylist obsessed with Milli Vanilli...)"
‑ John Beifuss, Commercial Appeal (Memphis, TN)
"My Life Without Me only has one way to go, and it makes some dippy turns getting there. But Polley makes the trip worth it."
‑ Tom Long, Detroit News
"Depressingly unmoving, thanks to unaffecting performances and a story that holds no surprises."
‑ Roger Moore, Orlando Sentinel
"Fascinating."
‑ David Grove, Film Threat
"Watching My Life Without Me is enervating. Coixet is so determined not to indulge the story's potential for sentiment that she overcompensates on the dreariness."
‑ Greg Muskewitz, eFilmCritic.com
"A shameless, rather dull disease-of- the-week weeper."
‑ Jim Lane, Sacramento News & Review