My Reincarnation
Filmed over twenty years by acclaimed documentarian Jennifer Fox, My Reincarnation chronicles the epic story of the high Tibetan Buddhist Master, Chögyal Namkhai Norbu, and his western-born son, Yeshi. The film follows Namkhai Norbu's rise to greatness as a Buddhist teacher in the West, while his son, Yeshi, recognized at birth as the reincarnation of a famous spiritual master, breaks away from his father's tradition to embrace the modern world. Can the father convince his son to keep the family's threatened spiritual legacy alive? Never before has a high Tibetan Master allowed… More
Directed By
© Long Shot Factory

"The story and settings hold interest throughout, but at times the very lack of emotional connection that Yeshi laments in his father seems to hinder the film."
‑ Tom Russo, Boston Globe
"Languid and contemplative, the film is typical of the intimate, paired-down aspect of Fox's style, a documentary in which lives accumulate in small moments."
‑ Mindy Farabee, Los Angeles Times
"Amazing documentary that chronicles the story of the Tibetan Buddhist Master, Chögyal Namkhai Norbu."
"An unusual and enlightening documentary about Tibetan Buddhism, impermanence, a popular spiritual master and his son, who has been designated as the reincarnation of a famous lama."
‑ Frederic and Mary Ann Brussat, Spirituality and Practice
"People fawn over a pretentious Buddhist."
‑ Harvey S. Karten, Compuserve
""My Reincarnation" is a fascinating, if inexpertly told, yarn."
‑ Michael O'Sullivan, Washington Post
""My Reincarnation" makes a pretty strong case: when the family business is enlightenment, listen to your dad."
‑ Daniel M. Gold, New York Times
"Even if Yeshi's dilemma never seems that urgent or vital, "My Reincarnation" remains a compelling, universal film."
‑ Marc Mohan, Oregonian
"My Reincarnation, at its simplest, is another illustration of the idea that people of most walks of life have essentially the same problems."
‑ Chuck Bowen, Slant Magazine
"Buddhism teaches patience, and you're going to need it if you attempt to sit through the conciliatory bromides of the slow documentary "My Reincarnation.""
‑ Kyle Smith, New York Post
"It's fascinating to watch Yeshi grow from a skeptical teenager into a spiritual leader -- a transformation that still doesn't bring him any closer to his father."
‑ Matt Singer, Time Out New York
"Effective though flawed film works as both revealing documentary and moving family drama."
‑ Eric Monder, Film Journal International
"An intriguing, Marjoe-esque adventure, highlighting how a corporate position at IBM might have belatedly led a reluctant, designated-demigod down a path of enlightenment lined by throngs of gullible devotees-in-waiting."
‑ Kam Williams, NewsBlaze