My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done
My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done
Brad (Michael Shannon) has committed murder and barricaded himself inside his house. With the help of his friends and neighbours, the cops piece together the strange tale of how this nice young man arrived at such a dark place... Based on a true story, this gripping and unnerving blend of deadpan comedy, melodrama and raw tragedy is fleshed out by an expert cast, including Willem Dafoe and ChloŽ Sevigny.

"What they deliver is the sort of fake mysticism that usually ensues when secular intellectuals try to plumb the depths of religious faith."
‑ J. R. Jones, Chicago Reader
"Confounds all convention and denies all expected pleasures, providing instead the delight of watching Herzog feed the police hostage formula into the Mixmaster of his imagination."
"The version of madness displayed by [Michael Shannon's] Brad is not typically dramatic; it's mostly just strange, and dances the line bordering on goofiness."
‑ Jeffrey Chen, ReelTalk Movie Reviews
"It's like Psycho remade by Ed Wood."
‑ Andy Lowe, Total Film
"Unsettling but in a good way."
‑ Laurence Boyce, Little White Lies
"My Son, My Son... may be a minor work in the Herzog canon but it's still one of the more fascinating, frustrating, disturbing and beautiful experiences available to cinemagoers this year."
‑ Tom Huddleston, Time Out
"Lynch and Herzog have tickled us for years with their dwarves and iguanas and impenetrable stories. This collaboration represents the vanishing point of willful obscurity."
‑ Colin Covert, Minneapolis Star Tribune
"More like a bad dream than a good film."
‑ , Daily Express
"Oddly understated, it's nevertheless as unnerving a vision of disintegration in suburbia as you'd expect from director Werner Herzog and producer David Lynch."
‑ Marc Lee, Daily Telegraph
"The nods to Aguirre, Wrath of God and Fitzcarraldo won't go unnoticed, but the more obtuse touches that bear the stamp of executive producer David Lynch may prove too eclectically eccentric."
‑ David Parkinson, Radio Times
"One of Herzog's quirky misfires."
‑ Jeff Shannon, Seattle Times
"As a writer-director with five decades' worth of notable screen work to his credit, [Herzog] certainly can't be faulted for taking risks, even if it means now and then, well, falling on his sword."
‑ Gary Goldstein, Los Angeles Times
"It is a film that addresses itself directly to the audience of Lynch and Herzog, and sets out, in its own special way, to "razzle them, dazzle them, razzle dazzle them.""
‑ Anton Bitel, Film4
"My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done finds God in a cereal box and Satan on an ostrich farm."
‑ Xan Brooks, Guardian
"This is a must for Herzog and Lynch fans."
‑ Alexander Pashby, Electric Sheep