My Week with Marilyn
My Week with Marilyn
In the early summer of 1956, 23 year-old Colin Clark (Eddie Redmayne), just down from Oxford and determined to make his way in the film business, worked as a lowly assistant on the set of 'The Prince and the Showgirl'. The film that famously united Sir Laurence Olivier (Kenneth Branagh) and Marilyn Monroe (Michelle Williams), who was also on honeymoon with her new husband, the playwright Aurthur Miller (Dougray Scott). Nearly 40 years on, his diary account The Prince, the Showgirl and Me was published, but one week was missing and this was published some years later as My Week with… More

"I believe the heart of the film, and the cleverest stroke of all, is Eddie Redmayne as Colin Clark, someone few of us will have heard of."
‑ David Thomson, The New Republic
"[Williams] floats through the movie, perfectly capturing Monroe's way of rhythmically whispering through a song, looking softly frightened when uncertain, and not strolling so much as delicately oozing across the floor."
‑ Moira MacDonald, Seattle Times
"Michelle Williams stuns in an Oscar-worthy performance in one of the year's best films."
‑ John Hanlon, Big Hollywood
"The film hinges on Williams' performance and not once do you question that she is Monroe. It's that "all-in" that makes the film work in such fantastic fashion."
‑ Erick Weber, NECN
"A few good performances here and there do nothing to prevent this sappy, doe-eyed production from falling head-first into tedious territory."
‑ Tom Clift, Moviedex
"That's all familiar lore but, to his credit, director Simon Curtis lays out these separate ambitions and conflicting tensions with breezy dispatch in the early frames."
‑ Rick Groen, Globe and Mail
"Williams is a more three-dimensional Monroe than the love goddess herself. The performance is both an eerie imitation and a touching revelation."
‑ Joe Williams, St. Louis Post-Dispatch
"A fun and tender tale of infatuation backed by two outstanding Oscar-nominated performances."
‑ Tom Glasson, Concrete Playground
"Definitive performances keep the viewer interested in a less than compelling screenplay."
‑ Wesley Lovell, Cinema Sight
"a charming look at a small sequence of Monroe's life and the subtle impact she had on those around her. A wonderful film that goes beyond the story you already know."
‑ Cameron Williams, The Popcorn Junkie
"A dubious idea done in by Adrian Hodges's shallow script and Simon Curtis's clumsy direction."
‑ Joe Morgenstern, Wall Street Journal
"Curtis occasionally takes his characters out of Pinewood, but they're never really set free, either in physical or emotional terms."
‑ Peter Howell, Toronto Star
"When Michelle Williams is singing about starting a "Heat Wave" by "making my seat wave," friends you will believe it."
‑ Roger Moore, McClatchy-Tribune News Service
"My Week with Marilyn is a performance master class from Williams, Branagh, Dench, Ormond etc orbiting around the most boring protagonist that I've seen in recent memory."
‑ Blake Howard, 2UE That Movie Show
"Worth a watch just for Williams and the charming tale it tells."
‑ Steve Newall, Flicks.co.nz