My Wife Is an Actress
Actor Yvan Attal follows up on his 1997 directorial debut of I've Got a Woman with this wry romantic comedy about a regular guy dealing with his wife's fame and career. Yvan (Attal) is a youngish sports writer who, through some improbable luck, finds himself happily married to the beautiful Charlotte (Charlotte Gainsbourg), a fantastically popular movie actress. All is going swimmingly for Yvan until a stranger plants the seeds of jealousy and doubt in his mind over his wife and her libertine profession. Meanwhile, Charlotte is in London, starring in a movie with a very seductive and… More

"Attal pushes too hard to make this a comedy or serious drama. He seems to want both, but succeeds in making neither."
‑ Sid Adilman, Toronto Star
"The film's as witty as any subtitled movie has a right to be."
‑ Roger Moore, Orlando Sentinel
"Quirky French films like this can either work really well or be absolutely intolerable. Thankfully, this proves to be a very enjoyable comedy about jealousy."
‑ Jason Gorber, Film Scouts
"Never less than clever and often digs down into some uncomfortable realities about the strange lives of that odd species known as 'movie people.'"
‑ Tim Merrill, Film Threat
"It's the kind of movie that ends up festooning U.S. art house screens for no reason other than the fact that it's in French (well, mostly) with English subtitles and is magically 'significant' because of that."
‑ Ken Hanke, Mountain Xpress (Asheville, NC)
"I found it slow, predictable and not very amusing."
‑ Ray Conlogue, Globe and Mail
"It's Othello Lite -- minus that bit at the end about murder-suicide, but with every ounce of Shakespeare's insane emotion."
‑ Michael O'Sullivan, Washington Post
"Both Yvan Attal and Charlotte Gainsborough are thoroughly appealing, as their unblinking honesty and openness shines through even the film's silliest bits."
‑ Dan Jardine, Apollo Guide
"God help the poor woman if Attal is this insecure in real life: his fictional Yvan's neuroses are aggravating enough to exhaust the patience of even the most understanding spouse."
‑ Jason Anderson, eye WEEKLY
"Starts off witty and sophisticated and you want to love it -- but filmmaker Yvan Attal quickly writes himself into a corner."
‑ Liz Braun, Jam! Movies
"My Wife Is an Actress is an utterly charming French comedy that feels so American in sensibility and style it's virtually its own Hollywood remake."
‑ Eric Harrison, Houston Chronicle
"Little more than a frothy vanity project."
‑ Ann Hornaday, Washington Post
"Attal's hang-ups surrounding infidelity are so old-fashioned and, dare I say, outdated, it's a wonder that he couldn't have brought something fresher to the proceedings simply by accident."
‑ Josef Braun, Vue Weekly (Edmonton, Canada)
""My Wife is an Actress" blends elements of fiction and reality, shakes them up and hopes for the best."
‑ Christopher Smith, Bangor Daily News (Maine)
"Not only is this material slight, it also seems ridiculously padded."
‑ Jeff Vice, Deseret News, Salt Lake City