My Year Without Sex
My Year Without Sex
A loving couple finds their lives turned upside down when one of them is diagnosed with a medical condition that will prevent them from having sex for an entire year. Coping with spirited children, a tight family budget, and job insecurity are common challenges for your typical parent; for Natalie and Ross, things are about to get a little more complicated. When Natalie's doctors advise her to abstain from sex for 12 long months, the temptations of consumer society seem to intensify tenfold. Now, in a world where sex sells and everyone is desperate to be desired, this passionate young… More

"...a well-meaning yet consistently underwhelming domestic drama that rarely packs the emotional punch that Watt has obviously intended."
‑ David Nusair, Reel Film Reviews
"A gem of a film: a wonderfully observed snapshot that canvasses the emotional pulse of a family in the suburbs. It's the slant with which Watt affectionately embraces her characters that make it so engaging."
‑ Louise Keller, Urban Cinefile
"A year without sex is actually one of the lesser challenges that Watt tackles, with stout heart and a rich instinct for human comedy."
‑ Paul Byrnes, Sydney Morning Herald
"While My Year Without Sex tackles life and potential death issues head on, it is, put simply, bloody funny."
‑ Annette Basile, FILMINK (Australia)
"It's [the] honest, natural performances and the way most average Aussies will relate to their sorry situation that makes My Year Without Sex all worth it."
‑ Shannon J. Harvey, Sunday Times (Australia)
"Testing a family for breaking points within a comic framework is not exactly new territory, but Watt's scripting is sharp and she plays fast and loose with audience expectation in the cliche department."
‑ Amber Wilkinson, Eye for Film
"A delightfully modest film that overcomes its narrative lulls with authentically crafted characters and astute observations of everyday life."
‑ Anders Wotzke, Moviedex
"Watt strives to cram a great deal into a small space, but her special triumph is that the strain never shows. My Year Without Sex stands as the most accomplished Australian film so far this year."
‑ Jake Wilson, The Age (Australia)
"There's a lovely assurance to Sarah Watt's screenplay and direction, she knows her characters well and her affection shows."
‑ Margaret Pomeranz, At the Movies (Australia)
"We get to care for the characters, but would like to have understood them better."
‑ Andrew L. Urban, Urban Cinefile
"[Watt] is a a filmmaker to treasure."
‑ Julie Rigg, MovieTime, ABC Radio National
"While there are occasions where the film appears to be going nowhere in particular, the undeniable believability of the characters makes the wait for a return to relevance simply whiz by."
‑ Leigh Paatsch, Herald Sun (Australia)
"Funny, moving, tense and entertaining, it's a strong follow-up to the sublime Look Both Ways."
‑ Michael Adams, Empire Magazine Australasia