Never Let Me Go
Director Mark Romanek (One Hour Photo) and writer Alex Garland (28 Days Later) team up to adapt Remains of the Day author Kazuo Ishiguro's introspective sci-fi novel about a group of unsuspecting boarding-school students who make a horrifying discovery about themselves. Sheltered teens Kathy (Carey Mulligan), Ruth (Keira Knightley), and Tommy (Andrew Garfield) all grew up at a remote English boarding school, and now they're hungry to explore the real world. Their dreams of freedom are soon stifled, however, upon learning that they are nothing more than clones created specifically for… More

"Pretty, empty, and immediately forgettable."
‑ Tom Huddleston, Time Out
"Never Let Me Go, director Mark Romanek's introspective adaptation of Kazuo Ishiguro's novel, is a work of subtle beauty -- a melancholy meditation on the finality of life and the choices we make as our time shortens."
‑ Rene Rodriguez, Miami Herald
"Emotionally stunted at times, Never Let Me Go gets lost in its own melancholy and fails to live up to its potential."
‑ Blake Griffin, We Got This Covered
"I came to this film knowing nothing about it, except that it was based on the highly-acclaimed novel by Kazuo Ishiguru. I had no foreknowledge of its story or premise-and I'm glad..."
‑ Leonard Maltin, Leonard Maltin's Picks
"Mark Romanek manages to make that very real(ish) world look and feel totally alien and hermetically sealed, a gray/blue/green/brown tragedy terrarium that both perfectly colorless and incredibly, inescapably sad."
‑ Dave White, Movies.com
"Never Let Me Go is gorgeous. And depressing. It's exquisitely acted. And depressing. It's romantic, profound and superbly crafted, shot with the self-contained radiance of a snow globe. And it's depressing."
‑ Amy Biancolli, Houston Chronicle
"Never Let Me Go is strangely moving and mournful, but I wish more had been made of the beauty these people are relinquishing, if only as a counterweight to all that artful drear."
‑ Peter Rainer, Christian Science Monitor
"a beautifully acted and heartbreaking story of young love, but it opens up more thoughts that just from that angle of storytelling"
‑ Kevin Carr, 7M Pictures
"Melancholy and futility define this subtle future-set drama about three children who grow up knowing that they'll never own themselves or their own bodies."
‑ Wesley Lovell, Cinema Sight
"It's also a film which affirms what is valuable about life. I think this film is a must-see."
‑ Julie Rigg, MovieTime, ABC Radio National
"Oddly cold and detached, as if director Mark Romanek and screenwriter Alex Garland couldn't decide precisely how to interpret Kazuo Ishiguro's popular novel and so they just laid it out flat. And flat it feels."
‑ Tom Long, Detroit News
"The emotional impact creeps up on the reader only gradually. Then, bam, it hits forcefully, memorably, and, yes, never lets us go."
‑ Rick Groen, Globe and Mail
"Melancholy, poignant and chilling"
‑ Roger Moore, Movie Nation
"Although [the] film adaptation does indeed fall short of the brilliance of the source material (and will likely distance viewers even more than the book ever did), it manages to convey the novel's most important themes, and most affecting moments."
‑ Simon Miraudo, Quickflix
"Though often moving at a glacial pace, this mood piece -- aptly described as a refined romantic drama with a cerebral sci-fi twist -- rarely stays in the same place for long."
‑ Leigh Paatsch, Herald Sun (Australia)