Nico Icon

"As recorded in the great wealth of documentary footage Ofteringer has assembled, the cheekbones slowly collapse and the blue eyes become watery, their owner becoming more and more dependent on hard drugs and fast living."
‑ Dave Kehr, New York Daily News
"Nico-Icon is more than the investigation of a doomed celebrity: It's also a mirror reflecting her friends, her audience and pop culture."
‑ Edward Guthmann, San Francisco Chronicle
"Nico Icon is a powerful, often disturbing portrayal of a woman haunted by her elevation to icon status for little more than her physical attributes."
‑ Pat Kramer, Boxoffice Magazine
"Catching a look at what took a gorgeous kid, full of life, into a rare freak show is certainly worth a look."
‑ Christopher Null, Filmcritic.com
"With extraordinary technique, Ofteringer paints a moody, melancholy picture of a legend who decayed into the ghost of herself."
‑ Bruce Diones, New Yorker
"Though Nico Icon is replete with fascinating tidbits about the model-turned- singer's opinions and lovers, it does little to bring us understanding of the real person."
‑ James Berardinelli, ReelViews
"This picture is a mess. It never presents a compelling case of why we should care about Nico."
‑ Steve Rhodes, Internet Reviews
"Nico Icon tells us more than we ever knew about this pop star yet manages to leave the mysterious reflecting pool that will forever be Nico intact."
‑ Marjorie Baumgarten, Austin Chronicle
"That voyeuristic fascination with doomed glamour is one of the guilty pleasures of Susanne Ofteringer's utterly haunting documentary film, Nico Icon."
‑ Stephen Holden, New York Times
"The movie has no moral or message, does not attempt to rehabilitate Nico as an anti-heroine, and finds mostly emptiness and sadness in her life. I have a feeling Nico would have enjoyed it."
"Nico, the beautiful heroin-addicted, one-time model and actress turned pop singer, is a strange subject for a documentary. Director Susanne Ofteringer took the strangeness and ran with it."
‑ Barbara Shulgasser, San Francisco Examiner