Once Upon a Time...When We Were Colored
Once Upon a Time...When We Were Colored
Actor Tim Reid (WKRP in Cincinnati) made his directorial debut with this filmed adaptation of Clifton L. Taulbert's autobiography. Set in an African-American community in the segregated South, Once Upon a Time...When We Were Colored follows a young Taulbert through three decades, beginning with his birth in a cotton field in 1946. As he grows up, Taulbert is faced with the harsh realities of being black in the mid-20th century: first from the lessons of his great-grandfather (Al Freeman Jr.), later in his trips to the local segregated library, and finally in 1962, when a 16-year-old… More

"Based on Clifton Taulbert's book, this sensitive memory film about the author's coming of age in the segregated South is an emotionally quiet saga, plaved against a tumultuous era in black communal life."
‑ Emanuel Levy, Variety
"Heart-warming drama in which community becomes a seedbed where young souls are forged."
‑ Frederic and Mary Ann Brussat, Spirituality and Practice
"Though the film exhibits a vaguely nostalgic tone, it's hardly sugar-coated, displaying an increasingly discernible edge to its portrayal of racist realities."
‑ Mike Clark, USA Today
"The acting is good all round, but the star of the show has to be Al Freeman Jr. He shows great inner strength, bravery, and intelligence."
‑ Steve Rhodes, Internet Reviews
"Everything about this film bespeaks wholesomeness, from its gentle life lessons to its calm dignity ... (t)hat said, it is not quite as good as some of the hype would have it."
‑ Philip Martin, Arkansas Democrat-Gazette