Our Brand is Crisis
Documentary filmmaker Rachel Boynton follows the machinations of the political consulting firm Greenberg Carville Shrum as they work on an election campaign in South America that goes terribly awry. The film's title, Our Brand Is Crisis, comes from the consultants' efforts to sell the voters of Bolivia on the idea that the country faced an imminent economic and political crisis, and needed to turn to the experienced hand of their candidate, Gonzalo Sanchez de Lozada, affectionately known as "Goni." Goni had been president in the 1990s, and had overseen a type of privatization… More

Buy SD $9.99 -
- -

"The movie is both frightening and ironically funny, sometimes both."
‑ John Monaghan, Detroit Free Press
"It's a galling and provocative experience to viewers of any political persuasion, and a reminder to the left of how easily idealism can run amok."
‑ Ty Burr, Boston Globe
"Our Brand Is Crisis is not just for political junkies and should be widely seen and discussed."
‑ Eric Monder, Film Journal International
"Purporting to expose the role of American public-relations companies in foreign political campaigns, Our Brand Is Crisis is never more than a dull and confused film about Bolivia's 2003 presidential election."
‑ Bill White, Seattle Post-Intelligencer
"Insightful if not altogether objective."
‑ Tim Cogshell, Boxoffice Magazine
"Subject matter dominates over filmmaking craft in Rachel Boynton's somewhat sloppy but otherwise riveting documentary."
‑ Jeff Shannon, Seattle Times
"Unlikely as it sounds, a documentary that details with jaw-dropping candor how contemporary political campaigning works at the highest levels of government is set not in this country but in the far-off reaches of Bolivia."
‑ Kenneth Turan, Los Angeles Times
"Absolutely riveting study of boneheaded intervention by James Carville consultants in Bolivian politics. Nearly as grotesque as Woody Allen's "Bananas"."
‑ Louis Proyect, rec.arts.movies.reviews
"It's tough not to root for them to succeed. That's a testament to Boynton's skill with the narrative."
‑ Phil Villarreal, Arizona Daily Star
"Boynton's film explores the inescapable link between American democracy and capitalism and why what seems to work for us can be so disastrous elsewhere."
‑ Laura Clifford, Reeling Reviews
"Politics and mass communication are the volatile subjects of Rachel Boynton's information-packed documentary."
‑ Michael Wilmington, Chicago Tribune
"Rachel Boynton's painfully timely film is actually a full-court tragedy -- the sorry tale of a battle won and a war lost."
‑ Ella Taylor, L.A. Weekly
"Crisis is angry and intrigued at the same time, and so are we."
‑ David Cornelius, DVDTalk.com
"Our Brand Is Crisis scares me..."
‑ Robin Clifford, Reeling Reviews
"Boynton asks: That's the democracy we want to export? For well-paid political consultants like Carville, it's a rhetorical question."
‑ Glenn Whipp, Los Angeles Daily News