People I Know
A powerful behind-the-scenes man in politics and show business finds himself skidding into a very public scandal in this taut drama. Eli Wurman (Al Pacino) was raised in the deep South, attended Harvard Law School, and has devoted his spare time to progressive political causes since working alongside Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. in the 1960s. However, Wurman now makes his living as a press agent and PR man, and while he's near the top of his profession, years of overwork, constant smoking and drinking, and ceaseless tension are taking their toll, leaving him on the verge of collapse, with… More

"The movie is weighted down with an excess of plot points that fail to coalesce."
‑ Ruthe Stein, San Francisco Chronicle
"Trashy and lurid as this movie is, it's certainly not boring, and it keeps its star in hog heaven throughout."
‑ Peter Rainer, New York Magazine
"[Starts] off like a B-version of Sweet Smell of Success before ending like a C-version of The Parallax View."
‑ Matt Brunson, Creative Loafing
"Intriguing but deeply flawed thriller."
‑ Jamie Russell, BBC
"At one point, a character kids Eli about being 'moth-eaten,' but the term would be better applied to the film's crippling third act."
‑ Adam Nayman, eye WEEKLY
"Watchable but dramatically scattered."
‑ Geoff Pevere, Toronto Star
"Al Pacino gives a career-crowning performance under Dan Algrant's perceptive direction."
‑ Jan Stuart, Newsday
"After watching this depressing film, I felt as tired as Al Pacino's character looked."
‑ Betty Jo Tucker, ReelTalk Movie Reviews
"Eli is a modern-day version of a tainted weakling who has sold his soul to the devil, but would like to rent it back from time to time."
‑ Prairie Miller, Long Island Press
"People I Know rests not at the bottom of that pile, not at the top, but just out of range of significance, to be forgotten the minute the audience's back is turned."
‑ Todd Gilchrist, FilmStew.com
"Dropped into this ocean of bathos, even Al can't tread water -- at that precise moment, he and his performance drown."
‑ Rick Groen, Globe and Mail
"Miscast and badly thought out, People I Know needed more -- and less -- than it got."
‑ Stephen Whitty, Newark Star-Ledger
"Pacino unleashes every trick in his actor's bag... The accent alone batters us into the back of the theater, making us want to go home."
‑ Jeffrey M. Anderson, Combustible Celluloid
"O filme, que mostra uma Nova York onde o poder é exercido de forma opressiva e cujas noites escondem festas dignas de De Olhos Bem Fechados, traz Pacino em uma das melhores atuações de sua carreira."
‑ Pablo Villaca, Cinema em Cena