Princess Ka'iulani
In1888, Hawaii was teetering on the brink of civil unrest. The tide had turned against the long-incumbent royal family, under the malevolent influence of a rebel party. Within months, the palace was overthrown, and the royals exiled. Among them was the beautiful Princess Kaiulani. Scarcely 13 years old, she was separated from her family and sent to Victorian England. Kaiulani underwent a harsh and testing education that equipped her with a sense of honor, duty and pride. Emerging from her childhood, Kaiulani realized she had to bring an end to the injustices suffered by her people and set to… More

"There are too many swooping violins, too many trite generalizations, too few moments that throw a light on history and turn it into art."
‑ Amy Biancolli, Houston Chronicle
"Watching Princess Kaiulani, you're not sure whether to weep for the title character or the actress playing her."
‑ Ty Burr, Boston Globe
"There's little passion, damn little fire in the belly, and what there is is wasted on a pleasant romance conjured up by the script, aimed at the My Little Pony market."
‑ Burl Burlingame, Honolulu Star-Advertiser
"Free of insight and depth, leaving us with little sense of the weight of her accomplishments."
‑ Mark Keizer, Boxoffice Magazine
"This absolutely fascinating true story is a rich, romantic and captivating movie experience."
‑ Pete Hammond, Back Stage
"As the doomed princess, Q'orianka Kilcher ... has imperially striking features but limited acting skills."
‑ Peter Rainer, Christian Science Monitor
"Kilcher is lovely. But sadly, Ka'iulani is a perfunctory biopic of the sort one might encounter on television during Women's History Month."
‑ Carrie Rickey, Philadelphia Inquirer
"After watching Princess Ka'iulani, we can barely say we learned much about this historical figure, nor even much of the history of the time."
‑ Jeffrey Chen, ReelTalk Movie Reviews
"Less biography than hagiography, and more suitable to cable TV than theatres."
‑ Frank Swietek, One Guy's Opinion
"This effortlessly evocative, endlessly ennui-inducing paean to Hawaii's final princess is, ultimately, a dull, Upstairs Downstairs affair."
‑ Marc Savlov, Austin Chronicle
"An uneven film that, by trying to satisfy parents with political drama and older children with a love story, leaves both parties wanting."
‑ Rachel Saslow, Washington Post
"Its story plays like a Hawaiian heritage lesson filtered through the melodramatic artifice of an old Hollywood costume drama."
‑ J. R. Jones, Chicago Reader
"Looking more like a Hallmark Movie-of-the-Week and reading like a CliffNotes summary of the overthrow of the Kingdom of Hawaii in the 1890s, the $9-million historical romance Princess Kaiulani won't raise any eyebrows or ruffle feathers..."
‑ Elias Savada, Film Threat
"[Writer-director] Mark Forby tempts us with a little known history lesson of Hawaii but, instead, gives us a generic girl-power teen chick flick. That is not what I want to see."
‑ Robin Clifford, Reeling Reviews
"Historically fanciful and dramatically doltish."
‑ Jonathan Kiefer, Sacramento News & Review