Pumpkin
Adam Larson and Tony R. Abrams' directorial debut Pumpkin is an unconventional love story. College senior Carolyn McDuffy (Christina Ricci) agrees to coach handicapped athletes from a local town in order to help her sorority win an award. She and her sorority sister Jeanine (Dominique Swain) are put off by the activity. Carolyn's discomfort begins to dissipate after meeting Pumpkin Romanoff (Hank Harris), a young man in a wheelchair who has dreams of competing in the shot put. Slowly, Carolyn falls in love with Pumpkin, sending her into conflict with her boyfriend Kent (Sam Ball), her… More

"Though Harris is affecting at times, he cannot overcome the sense that Pumpkin is a mere plot pawn for two directors with far less endearing disabilities."
‑ Chuck Wilson, L.A. Weekly
"Though Pumpkin extends its jaundiced joke too far, it's almost worth it for Ricci's final scene, which tells us everything we need to know about what will become of her."
‑ Terry Lawson, Detroit Free Press
"Black comedy about disability full of profanity, sex."
‑ Tracy Moore, Common Sense Media
"Like a grinning Jack O' Lantern, its apparent glee is derived from a lobotomy, having had all its vital essence scooped out and discarded."
‑ Brian Mckay, eFilmCritic.com
"Although there are many juicy supporting performances, Christina Ricci owns this movie. What a wonderful talent, and what a maddening, but enjoyable film."
‑ Edward Johnson-Ott, NUVO Newsweekly
"This is the sort of Pumpkin that really deserves to be smashed."
‑ Jay Boyar, Orlando Sentinel
"Weird. Rewarding."
‑ Scott Steinberg, Atlanta Journal-Constitution
"Rambling and diffuse, this debut film vacillates between the Farrelly brotthers' gross-out comedy and a softer, kinder message film, an incoherent blend that proves frustrating and not particularly enjoyable either."
‑ Emanuel Levy, EmanuelLevy.Com
"Pumpkin is a movie that resists categorization, that manages wit, intelligence, audacity and pointed social commentary while still entertaining us with a terrifically bizarre combination of soapy, ultra-stylized satire and blackly comic fairytale."
‑ Josef Braun, Vue Weekly (Edmonton, Canada)
"One of the most uneven motion pictures that I've had the displeasure of sitting through over the past few years."
‑ JoBlo, JoBlo's Movie Emporium
"By presenting an impossible romance in an impossible world, Pumpkin dares us to say why either is impossible -- which forces us to confront what's possible and what we might do to make it so."
‑ Jonathan Rosenbaum, Chicago Reader
"If you believe any of this, I can make you a real deal on leftover Enron stock that will double in value a week from Friday."
‑ Rex Reed, New York Observer
"Click to read review"
‑ Michael Dequina, TheMovieReport.com
"Successfully blended satire, high camp and yet another sexual taboo into a really funny movie."
‑ Don R. Lewis, Film Threat