Red Betsy
Wisconsin, 1941. A group of townspeople gather on a farm field, eagerly observing amateur pilot Dale Rounds as he readies his airplane for its inaugural flight. Dale built the plane with the help of his father, Emmet, from spare automotive parts. As the community watches with growing excitement and skepticism, Dale and Emmet remain determined to show that their contraption can really fly. Waiting expectantly on the sidelines among the crowd are Dale's girlfriend Winifred, and mother Helen. After a few false starts, the plane barrels down the makeshift runway and glides effortlessly into… More

"A picture that's lovely to look at but lacking in dramatic impact."
‑ Carla Meyer, San Francisco Chronicle
"The movie is so general, so afraid to get specific with feelings and complicated characters, that of course I can relate -- just as I can almost always relate to my daily horoscope."
‑ Allison Benedikt, Chicago Tribune
"Reminds us to treasure the not-so-distant past like it was a family heirloom."
‑ Duane Dudek, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
"Provides a bountiful harvest of emotions."
‑ Jeff Strickler, Minneapolis Star Tribune
"I can't recall a movie since The Straight Story that does as fine a job of capturing a Midwestern sensibility as Red Betsy."
‑ Chris Hewitt (St. Paul), St. Paul Pioneer Press
"This is not the country postcard of Hollywood fantasies, but just a working farm in a district where there are few enough people that every personality seems back lighted."
"It worms its way into our good graces with gentle insight and an understated approach."
‑ Robert W. Butler, Kansas City Star