Rendition
The director of the Academy Award-winning 2006 crime drama Tsotsi returns to the helm with this tale of a Middle East CIA operative who begins to have doubts about his latest assignment after witnessing the interrogation of a suspected suicide bomber by secret police. When Egyptian-born chemical engineer Anwar El-Ibrahimi (Omar Metwally) mysteriously vanishes on a routine flight from South Africa to Washington, his wife, Isabella (Reese Witherspoon), embarks on a frantic international search for her missing husband. At the same time, a CIA analyst (Jake Gyllenhaal) arrives at a clandestine… More

"I don't fault Rendition for its liberal politics. I fault it for hammering home those politics in such pounding, slanted fashion."
‑ Richard Roeper, Ebert & Roeper
"What finally gives Rendition its headlong narrative momentum is the sense that we're rarely certain what argument the filmmakers are endorsing."
‑ John Hartl, Seattle Times
"Designed to make us feel like we've just witnessed a powerful experience. The reality of the film is that it's nothing but a shallow and underdeveloped position paper."
‑ Ian Buckwalter, DCist
"Rather then telling a story with characters growing and exploring the politics of the world around them, they simply take up the roles of well-dictated automatons."
‑ Sean Gandert, Paste Magazine
"The film exists in a gray zone that acknowledges the existence and relevance of both sides."
‑ Brandon Fibbs, Colorado Springs Gazette
"If these new, allegedly topical movies are to make us feel anything -- to move us toward any action or even just toward any fresh realization -- they need to at least seem alive on the screen, instead of just courting our polite, measured applause."
‑ Stephanie Zacharek, Salon.com
"It's one thing for a thriller to be timely, quite another for it to function as Rendition does, a gripping piece of entertainment with a clear head on its shoulders."
‑ Geoff Pevere, Toronto Star
"The sort of schematic slog that stirs more discussion about the cluelessness of the filmmakers than anything else"
‑ Fernando F. Croce, CinePassion
"The film unfolds brilliantly and methodically, as director Gavid Hood's vivid characters are unwittingly drawn together."
‑ Rossiter Drake, San Francisco Examiner
"Jake Gyllenhaal gets better with each role and here he is impressive as the novice CIA analyst forced to confront his own conscience"
‑ Urban Cinefile Critics, Urban Cinefile
"That it's embarrassingly plausible, that it depicts things that have happened and that are probably still happening, is enough to make Americans sick to their stomach."
‑ Mick LaSalle, San Francisco Chronicle
"Rendition, while engrossing, does not grab us as it should."
‑ Claudia Puig, USA Today
"Rendition features decent performances by all its actors, although few are given any chance to shine."
‑ Heather Huntington, ReelzChannel.com
"But Rendition, in the end, is a Lifetime movie with pretensions toward being a political thriller. (They could even call it YOU HAVE MY HUSBAND! since Witherspoon shrieks that at Streep in a ludicrous scene.)"
‑ Alonso Duralde, MSNBC
"[A] spotty, but ultimately effective thriller."
‑ Bruce Bennett, Spectrum (St. George, Utah)