Return to Paradise
In this film, Sheriff, Lewis, and Tony ramble around Asia, getting high and just having a good time. Two years later, Sheriff learns that Lewis has been sentenced to death by Malaysian authorities. Although Sheriff is responsible for Lewis's predicament, does he feel guilty enough to get involved?

"It's a painful prospect, to be sure, and Sheriff, in particular, insists he's no hero, but the next hour or so of handwringing conjures little suspense."
‑ Geoff Andrew, Time Out
"This is a major example of a good idea, one that could have worked, being submitted to a Hollywood tag-team makeover."
‑ Paul Tatara, CNN.com
"Despite solid performances from the leads, it comes shrouded in a heavy cloud of ethics-class complications that makes it feel like a "dilemma of the week" TV movie."
‑ Maitland McDonagh, TV Guide's Movie Guide
"The acting is generally good -- Vaughn is very convincing as a man forced to make a difficult decision, while Joaquin Phoenix even more convincingly plays a man condemned to die."
‑ Dragan Antulov, rec.arts.movies.reviews
"As disturbing as it is excellent."
‑ John R. McEwen, Film Quips Online
"What if director Joseph Ruben didn't resort to B-movie suspense tricks? What if the fine cast wasn't saddled with a shamelessly contrived script by Wesley Strick and Bruce Robinson?"
‑ Peter Travers, Rolling Stone
"Like Sheriff and Tony, we're pulled both ways by the story: We want them to go back and save Lewis, but we're not exactly sure we'd do the same. That's the Prisoner's Dilemma in a nutshell."
"Vince Vaughn finally gives a performance putting him in the serious actor category, Joaquin Phoenix is notable and Anne Heche is believable as the impassioned attorney fighting for the life of her client."
‑ Anthony Miele, Film Threat
"Return to Paradise is precisely the kind of film I tend to like; one which could go many ways, and one which, if done right, could have a true and profound moral. And it didn't dissapoint."
‑ Eugene Novikov, Film Blather
"Truly Unforgettable. A tour-de-force for Phoenix."
‑ Clint Morris, Moviehole
"If it's to be experienced at all, Return to Paradise is best seen as a lively piece of pulp, not a profound exploration of the vagaries of the human soul."
‑ Kenneth Turan, Los Angeles Times
"Though the clock ticks relentlessly enough to sustain the story's tension, the film finally seems to be a character study in search of a gripping plot."
‑ Janet Maslin, New York Times
"Involving drama about our responsibilities to others."
‑ Michael E. Grost, Classic Film and Television
"Fine, low-key performances by Ann Heche as the attorney and Vince Vaughn and David Conrad as the two men she must persuade help sustain our interest in the characters. But after the wrong turn, the story feels as forced as it once was exciting."
‑ Leonard Schwarz, Palo Alto Weekly
"The whole thing is quite thought provoking, and it's well written even though there are some flaws in the script."
‑ Kevin N. Laforest, Montreal Film Journal