Rewind This!
Home video changed the way the world consumed films. The cultural and historical impact of the VHS tape was enormous. REWIND THIS! is a documentary that traces the ripples of that impact by examining the myriad aspects of art,technology, and societal perceptions that were altered by the creation of videotape.
Directed By
© Oscilloscope Laboratories

"Johnson's savvy authority ensures that "Rewind This!" will leave many film-and-video lovers begging for more."
‑ Jeff Shannon, Seattle Times
"A hilarious and utterly excellent look back at a time where movie collecting was more of a sport and treasure hunt than a matter of simple point and click."
"a fascinating, funny and focused journey through our recent - and rapidly changing - cultural memory, lest we forget."
‑ Anton Bitel, Grolsch Film Works
"Perhaps the best compliment I can pay the film is to say that it made me want to go down in my basement and dig through all those old VHS tapes that I have boxed up."
‑ Mike McGranaghan, Aisle Seat
"Rewind This! is both a history lesson and love letter to a format which should prove to be a must-see for all cinephiles that came of age during the VHS era."
‑ Cory Everett, The Playlist
"There's nary a trace of ironic detachment or condescension here, which is exceedingly rare for any depiction of geek culture."
‑ Michael Nordine, L.A. Weekly
"It's affectionate and educational, with enough visual evidence to act as a time machine, bringing viewers back to an era of movie-watching exploration and physical media worship."
‑ Brian Orndorf, Blu-ray.com
"The film is ultimately less interested in giving an objective overview of VHS' history than in paying loving, irreverent tribute to some of the strange subcultures that sprung up in the home-video world."
‑ Nathan Rabin, The Dissolve
"Rewind This! didn't delve into every corner of VHS I might have wished, but it introduced plenty I'd never thought of."
‑ Fred Topel, CraveOnline
"Incredibly fun doco that delivers the perfect hit of nostalgia for generation-VHS while educating the uninitiated on an important part of pop culture history"
‑ Cameron Williams, The Popcorn Junkie
"Lively history makes some good observations about video and the culture it enabled."
‑ John DeFore, Hollywood Reporter
"The film is elevated above the average 'these are a few of my favourite things' documentary by its willingness to take on larger narratives around the social, economic and literary significance of the genre, all in a fully accessible way."
‑ Jennie Kermode, Eye for Film
"This unabashedly nostalgic doc serves as a potent reminder of VHS' pivotal role in the history of entertainment, even if we've all moved on now. Well, most of us."
‑ Shaun Munro, What Culture
"Rewind This! is a charmer of a documentary that will strike a chord with audiences who have grown up with the format."
‑ Mark Adams, Screen International
"Like any pop cultural tradition, the videotape has its diehards, who are the diverting guests in Josh Johnson's new documentary."
‑ Matthew Sorrento, Film International