R.I.P.D.
Jeff Bridges and Ryan Reynolds headline the 3D supernatural action-adventure R.I.P.D. as two cops dispatched by the otherworldly Rest In Peace Department to protect and serve the living from an increasingly destructive array of souls who refuse to move peacefully to the other side. Veteran sheriff Roy Pulsifer (Bridges) has spent his career with the legendary police force known as R.I.P.D. tracking monstrous spirits who are cleverly disguised as ordinary people. His mission? To arrest and bring to justice a special brand of criminals trying to escape final judgment by hiding among the… More

"I watched this movie with three chatty strangers on [a] Thursday night in an otherwise empty theater. Universal couldn't say "no." Looks like that's our job now."
‑ Wesley Morris, Grantland
"Mr. Bridges is almost always fun to watch, but even his squinting and Slim Pickens-style whooping can't make the time pass faster."
‑ Manohla Dargis, New York Times
"It's not a buddy-cop movie, nor is it an action movie. It's just one vaguely funny joke told for 98 minutes."
‑ David Pierce, The Verge
"R.I.P.D may look like something that you've seen before (and you kind of have) but with deft direction, the primal allure of redemption and lightning pace; prepare for a surprisingly entertaining ride."
‑ Blake Howard, 2UE That Movie Show
"The script is never actually funny, and the filmmakers' desperate attempt to crank up the mayhem with digital trickery is merely exhausting."
‑ Rich Cline, Shadows on the Wall
"This spends little time on exposition and doesn't go in for any false pathos; compared with most recent comic-book movies, this is lean, unpretentious filmmaking--and to my taste, a lot more fun for it."
‑ Ben Sachs, Chicago Reader
"A half-hour into the film, and it feels like the eighth day of jury duty."
‑ Richard Corliss, TIME Magazine
"It's a predictable and cliché filled soap opera mess played straight with an afterlife gimmick."
‑ Robert Kojder, What Culture
"Bridges may be doing this for the pay cheque but at least he seems determined to give value for money."
‑ Andy Lea, Daily Star
"Overall, it's a directionless mess: too expensive for a B-movie, too grown-up for a kids' movie (funerals, bereavement and jokes about Steely Dan) and too infantile for everyone else."
‑ Mark Kermode, Observer [UK]
"Too bad director Robert Schwentke ("RED") and the writing team handling the 3-D screen adaptation don't hold up their end, failing to do much with a premise that felt like it could rate with, say, "Men in Black.""
‑ Tom Russo, Boston Globe
"With its low-stakes chase scenes, obvious-from-the-get-go villains and nonsensical plotting, this feels more like a 96-minute-long episode of Scooby-Doo that's been laboriously translated into another language and then back into English."
‑ Dana Stevens, Slate
"a film so preoccupied with style, (the stars) wander around the film without anything of note to do"
‑ James Luxford, The National
"It's MIB meets Ghost via Ghostbusters in this flat, FX-driven drivel...Apparently, they're not just scratching the bottom of the Hollywood ideas barrell, they've worn all the way through and are now hitting the floor."
‑ Jim Schembri, 3AW
"The Oscar-winning Bridges sounds like he's chewing marbles and suddenly looks 10 years older than 63."
‑ Graham Young, Birmingham Mail